Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ran into a good and funny blog called "McMansion Hell".
(10-19-2016, 09:26 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 08:19 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 07:41 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 04:19 PM)Mikebert Wrote: I thought it a bit snooty.  I liked many of the houses in the early sections.  I like lots of dormers, roof levels, turrets on other people's houses (not my own of course).  They are nice to look at when you walk by and give the neighborhood character.  In the latter part there were what I consider McMansions, pretentious houses too large for their lots made of cheap materials that look fake.

Quoins, multiple roof angles, cheap materials, Great Rooms (as if one wanted to live in a Tolstoy novel), and turrets (I suppose that if one needed sentries on site to defend against barbarians, a proletarian revolution, the Mossad, Spetsnaz, or Seal Team Six one might need turrets with sentries) are obvious offenders. The blogger did not mention one of the obvious failures of aesthetics: the violation of symmetry.

In view of my age I am unlikely to see this happen, but I can imagine these buildings becoming slums within thirty years

Well at some point, the overall demand for housing will fall. Population dynamics make it inevitable. Combine that with many Millies having little to no taste for McMansions. Silver lining - they are built so poorly, many will fall down within a few decades. Meanwhile our little 1000 S.F. built-for-GIs place 20 miles out from DTSF will be going strong as it hits its 100 year birthday.

Bingo. The house built for the GI Generation was built to last. It was also made to avoid fads and eccentricity. Housing pushed to the GI was functional and durable, meant to last as long as the original owners at the least. In the event that a house had to be foreclosed upon it had to be marketable to another owner.

The McMansion will eventually prove its inadequacy for the high-end market. Many seem suited to be cut up into tiny, bad apartments. As apartments they will become slums, and as such they will become targets for 'urban renewal' as understood in the next Awakening Era. .

I prefer Victorian Houses to McMansions or to GI Generation houses. I think McMansions are low quality and that the GI homes are well built but don't have the frills I want.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ran into a good and funny blog called "McMansion Hell". - by disasterzone - 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Immigration Policy as a Replacement for Eugenics JasonBlack 11 2,287 06-25-2022, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58