Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Growing Political Dysfunction – What’s to Be Done?
The difference from 2000 is, that in 2000 there really WAS rigging-- committed BY the Party whose nominee now claims that if he loses the election it will have been rigged-- to the approval of 70% of his voters.

In 2000, the Florida secretary of state took off people from the voting rolls for being felons, when they weren't felons. Most of them were black. She stopped the recount before it was finished. In two counties at least, absentee ballots were forged. They were counted anyway. Then the recount was stopped by the supreme court on a party-line vote. There were other irregularities, accidental and deliberate.

There were other instances, such as the hacking of Diebold electronic voting systems, and Republican Sec. of State Black in Ohio whose obstructionist tactics may have cost John Kerry an electoral vote victory in 2004.

Since then, it's been right-wingers, and also leftists or confused radicals who oppose our system of government and all its candidates, who claim that every election is rigged, and therefore our democracy and all its politicians are crooks. Meanwhile, it's been Republicans who have carefully studied how to stop more non-whites from voting and instituted voting restrictions to accomplish that purpose. Their blatant schemes in NC and in many other states have been overturned by the courts. Since the voters so stupidly put Republicans in charge of congress in 2010, even knowing full well that their only program is to block all government business, Republicans have gerrymandered congress so thoroughly that their victory is almost automatic. And yet, it's their stupid candidate who says that if he loses the election it will have been rigged, without any evidence whatsoever. And people blame Obama for the Republican obstruction that stopped him from accomplishing much of what he wanted to do. Their purpose of discrediting our government and our democracy is being achieved simply by their OWN cheating and rigging. I have to hand it to their brilliant tactics, and stick it to American voters who can't see through their schemes.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our Growing Political Dysfunction – What’s to Be Done? - by Eric the Green - 10-24-2016, 02:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Now, the "Political Revolution"? TeacherinExile 4 6,020 11-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a