Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gen-X in MidLife - Are We Really On the Sidelines?
Well done article.

A nomad generation was supposed to accept in mid-life the increasing progressive, more collective or community-oriented slant of society during a 4T, and use their productive and innovative skill to be effective managers of the response to the crisis, while visionary prophets provide direction and guidance, and civics the man/woman power and dedication. That depends on some blue boomers fulfilling their roles as gray champion leaders. The younger generations will power this societal shift toward collegiality and community, but some leadership will still be Boomer, and Xers are still best fitted to be effective crisis managers. But even if Gen X doesn't produce a president (except another cusper like Obama), Xers will increasingly predominate in power, while millennials predominate in voting numbers and rising stars. As you imply, in the next 10 years it will be those Xers who can adapt to the less neo-liberal individualist regime who will gain power, especially in blue states and probably the nation.

I would think though that Boomers who looked upon a career as a calling, and as a fulfilling vocation rather than just a job, were not workaholics in the sense of being impelled to work too much. The stronger survival instinct of the Xer would seem to imply workaholism because of the need to survive. Boomer parents were often lauded by the older cohort millennials as caring and good teachers. Silents were the neglectful ones.

Those who understand the direction of society and technology will help shift society away from work to survive. Didn't I just post a Ted talk about this? Ah, here it is. Maybe a European Gen Xer is well-enough immune to the survivalist mentality so prevalent among Americans (especially Gen X, but certainly not exclusively to them). Or maybe he's a millennial.
http://generational-theory.com/forum/thr...l#pid41374
"I believe in a future where the value of your work is not determined by the size of your paycheck, but by the amount of happiness you spread, and the amount of meaning you give. I believe in a future where the point of education is not to prepare you for another useless job, but for a life well lived. I believe in a future where an existence without poverty is not a privilege, but a right we all deserve."

Gen Xers enjoy preeminence in entertainment? Boy, their "entertainment" sure leaves me cold. TV shows today have no character. Give me the older GI and Silent-produced ones any day. Gen X music (and late Boomer music too for that matter) is loud and deliberately obnoxious, at least the American music. Gen Xers here have justified this as a protest against their life situation. I say they did not use their angst to develop it into a real art form. Some Gen X culture is better than others, but overall I'd say it's as weak a contribution as their Republican politicians have made. The myth makers that created the franchises were mostly boomers.

But kudos to the Xer journalist-comedians. Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, Seth Meyers and others help to make the times we live in under the cheeto in chief barely tolerable. Gen X irony has its value.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gen-X in MidLife - Are We Really On the Sidelines? - by Eric the Green - 02-24-2019, 06:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The most Gen X Xer Ever: David Goggins Snowflake1996 5 5,365 01-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Classic-Xer
  They finally like Gen X !!! Danilynn 15 20,832 11-22-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Saint Stephen