Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad bosses as a phenomenon
(03-23-2019, 08:20 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: Satanism? Get real. Many bosses are shitty assholes, but there's no reason to think Satan was involved.

I used Anton Szandor LaVey's genteel Satanism as an expression of much that is wrong in a narcissistic life. I'm not talking about people who simply do such disgusting things as torture-killings of helpless creatures as sacrifices to a horrible entity or seek to collaborate with demons who would destroy the world.

I see cruelty as a source and cause of much evil. I distinguish cruelty from 'tough love' that might be necessary for weaning people away from destructive habits. It is not mercy to facilitate alcoholism, drug use, sloth, compulsive gambling, or wasteful spending.

I was taking a swipe at Donald Trump by comparing his philosophy of life to the genteel Satanism of the late A S LaVey.

So what is my antithesis to LaVey?

1. I recognize abstinence as often necessary for greater, and more satisfying indulgence.
2. The spiritual life, to the extent that it creates meaning in life, is a desirable thing.
3. All purported wisdom needs tests to establish its validity.
4. Kindness offers its own rewards.
5. Vengeance is a desperate act best done rarely and only when all alternatives are ruled out.
6. The 'psychic vampires' obviously excluded, responsibility is an essential part of personal growth and development.
7. The privileged position of Humanity is essential to a good world for ourselves.
8. (first of all, I don't put all human foibles into one catch-all category of 'sin'; 'sin' includes such a minor offense as overeating and the perpetration of genocide) -- all of the classical descriptions of 'sin' imply their potential for destructiveness.
9. An entity intent on turning all persons into slaves or destroying Humanity is something from which to run.

LaVey is about getting away with bad behavior.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-07-2019, 03:06 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by David Horn - 03-08-2019, 08:45 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-09-2019, 02:48 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by Hintergrund - 03-23-2019, 08:20 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-24-2019, 06:08 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by beechnut79 - 09-03-2020, 10:13 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by sbarrera - 09-04-2020, 08:58 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 09-04-2020, 11:51 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by sbarrera - 09-05-2020, 02:09 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 09-05-2020, 11:29 PM