Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It looks like Trump is setting the mood for the 1T.
(11-21-2016, 06:53 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-21-2016, 05:54 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 01:55 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 08:14 AM)Mikebert Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 05:21 AM)Galen Wrote: Murray Rothbard once pointed out that the Progressive Era, with its idea of a technocratic elite, had not ended in the eighties and I am inclined to agree with this assessment.   The last fourth turning spelled the end of classical liberalism and so it seems likely that this one spell the final end of the Progressive Era.  Judging from current trends it seems likely that the upcoming first turning will be defined by nationalism but on a much smaller scale than was known in the twentieth century.  If so then the nation-state as we know it is on the decline on an even longer time scale.  Probably about two centuries give or take a half-century.

This is an example of sloppy thinking. The Progressive Era end in 1920.  This brand of Progressivism was spearheaded by Republicans.  The Republican party then was a pro-business, free market party then just like now.  They were also the Blue party.

First I've heard that Wilson  was a Republican.

He was.  I suggest that you do a little research into the Progressives and then look at the twentieth century.  I expect you will agree that Rothbard was right.

I'm not disagreeing with Rothbard, but Wilson was a Democrat through his entire political career, as governor as well as as President.  Indeed his accession to the Presidency occurred in an election where the Republicans rejected the progressive Theodore Roosevelt.
Made a mistake there you are right Wilson was a Democrat.  More like the Bull Moose party, as it was known then, split the Republican vote.  Interestingly, the Progressive Party was funded in large by J.P. Morgan.  You might want to think about that.  It has considerable relevance with the crony capitalism of the current era.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread
RE: It looks like Trump is setting the mood for the 1T. - by Galen - 11-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was 911 & the Cultural Aftermath/Change in National Mood Part of This Crisis Period? TheNomad 85 47,954 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund