Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It looks like Trump is setting the mood for the 1T.
(12-08-2016, 04:44 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 04:03 PM)igranderojo Wrote: Kill this thread title, first we have to get through the next three stages of the 4T: regeneracy, crisis climax and resolution.  Boomers are not 100% into Elderhood until 2020.  GenXers are not 100% into Midlife until about 2020.  Millennials are not 100% into Young Adults until 2020.  That alignment is stressed by Strauss and Howe as the time when Generations influence events and events, influence Generations.  Each generation has their own role and responsibility in the 4T stages.  Pay attention to the next four years of the Regeneracy: old institutions die and new institutions grow.  Fossil fuels die and renewables grow, old job titles disappear and new job titles grow, means testing Social Security to tax high income retirees and new basic income for Millennials with low incomes.

I agree that a reckoning is coming, but what form it will take is still arguable.  We have two strains of Boomers pulling in different directions, and Millennials sitting on their hands.  Our local paper had a commentary by a Millennial activist who asserted that the Millennials won't support anything that doesn't benefit them directly and in the manner they want to be benefitted. True or not, that's a pretty arrogant demand.  If true, it kills any chance that a common front can be assembled to confront the coming onslaught. 

Your paper's observation of the attitude of Millennials is consistent with my anecdotal observations.  I recently overhead a 19-year-old talking about how he was the only one of four late-teens in his college dorm that had any interest in voting, and even then only if a candidate is promoting something that directly benefits him, such as free tuition (his example, not mine).

If this attitude is as widespread as I think it is, well, I'm not sure how to end this sentence ... but it won't be a happy ending ...
"But there's a difference between error and dishonesty, and it's not a trivial difference." - Ben Greenman
"Relax, it'll be all right, and by that I mean it will first get worse."
"How was I supposed to know that there'd be consequences for my actions?" - Gina Linetti

Messages In This Thread
RE: It looks like Trump is setting the mood for the 1T. - by tg63 - 12-08-2016, 04:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was 911 & the Cultural Aftermath/Change in National Mood Part of This Crisis Period? TheNomad 85 47,521 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund