Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Triumph of Stupidity in American Politics
Unless the election was hacked (and the drama of the release of electoral results seemed to resemble a well-crafted horror story)  this is the consequence:

[Image: Nov13.png]

Unlike the maps that I derive from Leip's Atlas of American elections, this one has red for Republican wins and blue for Democratic wins. Full red and full blue are for strong wins (10% or more) for the party. Paler shades are for wins of medium strength (5-9%). and outlined states with red or blue are for bare wins (1-5%). The purple in Maine tells us that Donald Trump won the Second Congressional District.

The good thing is that the political process will operate smoothly, as in a freshly-minted plutocratic dictatorship. The bad thing is that the President and in the net Congress will operate as a plutocratic dictatorship. American politics will operate like a novel by Steven King for some time.

We will be obliged to suffer for people of unrestrained greed and little tolerance for dissent. Thank you, people who are so opposed to abortion that you are willing to tolerate even more deaths from relaxation in regulations of workplace safety. Thank you, opponents of same-sex marriage who give people good cause to defer child-bearing because they wonder whether they will be able to support their children due to falling pay. Thank you, gun fetishists who are so scared of a somewhat-liberal President whittling away at the rights of some fringe characters in America (people on the terrorist-watch list)  that you support a President with a capricious foreign policy likely to culminate in war that sends lots of American young adults back home in body bags. Thank you, supporters of creationism and school prayer for supporting someone whose political agenda is best supported through the degradation of the quality of education to the detriment of all children so that Americans can descend into the rottenness of the Gilded Age.

Should political distress or economic despair under Donald Trump cause people to commit suicide, then endure some guilt.

If you supported Donald Trump for one of those single, visceral concerns and I mock your choices -- then you are right; I mock you. No matter how competent you may be in other aspects of life and no matter how good you are to the people immediately near you (like family,co-workers, and fellow church-goesrs), you voted with a gross lack of insight, if not outright stupidity. You voted for an evil manas President. The sooner that you come to regret your choice, the better -- even if that regret comes with pain. As someone who actively campaigned for Hillary Clinton, I have pain without regret. But I started hurting earlier, so I am not sure that you have it any harder.

Americans will have to hit bottom before they realize what a huge mistake they made. That could be an economic meltdown as horrible as the Great Depression. Considering that Trump plans to remove the financial regulations in place to facilitate reckless speculation and that the deregulation will likely hit about as the economy goes into a tailspin, such portends a calamity for America. The good thing is that we will then know who the Enemy is.

Let's put it this way: if I were Vietnamese or Cuban and I wanted to go to a free country, I would not now choose the Corporate States of America. At the least the Commies give lip service to the value of the common man.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Triumph of Stupidity in American Politics - by pbrower2a - 11-15-2016, 07:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare/contrast American Presidential elections pbrower2a 71 62,110 01-23-2023, 09:37 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a