Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things Out of the Past You Would Like to See Revived
Wow that would be a long list!

Growing up on classical, I seem to be the reverse of you on that, Mr Beechnut. Psychedelia was wonderful, and country not so much. And to me, psychedelia was Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish electric music for the mind and body, The Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows, even Suzanne by Judy Collins, Witchi Tai To by Everything is Everything, and even The Who, and Lee Mallory, and not so much the raucous, jarring stuff like Janis, Jimi and Led Zeppelin. Music, sound, melody, arrangements, rhythm, atmosphere and memory conveyed, all through the music, not the lyrics. Lyrics are good too though; everything contributes to a good song. But good music, that goes beyond songs, to symphonies, concertos, toccatas, fugues, and psychedelia instrumentals, and ambient new age music. These days, and maybe forever, I resonate far more to sensitive sounds and sights that kindle imagination and memory and are like gentle breezes in fresh air and cool mountain streams and lagoons and the vast ocean, and which stir my heart and recall authentic experience which is so rare. Words alone are just symbols for the music, not the music itself. The music changes your consciousness, awakens you to higher realities. Music is the handmaiden of spirituality and religion, and so are the other arts like painting, sculpture and architecture. But no doubt great works of literature and writing are noble and uplifting to the imagination as well. I like to see creative ferment revived.

I always like it when a trend toward good music is revived. Even when a teenie bopper star like Justin Bieber can put out such a poignant, melodious, well-orchestrated and performed song like "Pray," It gives me hope when that happens that pop culture can be culture, and that creativity is alive when so often it is not in commercial society. When people by the millions resonated to the possibilities of expanding consciousness through LSD or through Eastern meditation or human potential movements, and got together and shared love on such a mass scale that I could even see it not only at a big festival, but even just happening in a college registration line on campus, and could go to San Francisco and see people living in new ways and decorating their houses and their bodies artfully.

So much to be revived. When people rise up and remember people power and start revolutions, and once in a while they actually succeed for a while, that's a great revival. When people rise up and support causes and good candidates, that moves the country forward. And a country that can dedicate itself to common projects, even in the arts as well as economic boosts to those in need, and space programs and such too.

I'd love to see cathedral and temple building revived, with the soaring columns and the stained glass, and with beautiful organ music like Bach played, helping us aspire to the divine heights. Great temples were built all over the world in many religious traditions, without the benefit of the construction technology and computers we have today, and yet we think beauty is some graphics on a computer screen, and all we care about is how well we can make things work. I don't think temples and beautiful paintings and crafts are out of date, and I like to see it revived. And the dedication people felt to their spiritual traditions and prophets, the devotion they showed in their monastic life, their pilgrimages, their ceremonies and in their building projects, all over the world. The amazing beauty of the Hindu and Buddhist traditions and the art of Bali and the other Oriental arts, I always like to see them practiced and revived. There's a lot of richness in those cultures, and in cultures all over the world.

People can always peruse my website at http://philosopherswheel.com to see what I like to "revive," and my site http://philosopherswheel.com/ericrock.html has my list of what was truly mind-expanding and heart-stirring in the music of the psychedelic and rock/folk era. Some of the links actually still work!
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things Out of the Past You Would Like to See Revived - by Eric the Green - 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM