Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civic = Greece, Prophetic = Israel?
It's true; these are the two sources. I agree. And they each are lacking in the other.

I as a prophet tend to look at them as both flawed ideologies, since rational civilization too often deferred to limited scientific views, and spiritual civilization tended to defer to rigid dogmatic and authoritarian expressions of it such as the Christian Church and more recently fundamentalism.

Alan Watts, a favorite philosopher of mine, nailed it when he described them as the two main myths of our culture in which the universe and life are explained: the ceramic model and the fully-automatic model. In the ceramic model, the world is an artifact made by a creator God, as explained in Genesis. In the automatic model, the creator is dispensed with and the explanation is mechanical, as explained by the Greek atomists and sophists, Newton, and Darwin.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Civic = Greece, Prophetic = Israel? - by Eric the Green - 10-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Support (Civic) Nationalism More Than You Think You Do JasonBlack 4 1,080 08-31-2022, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green