Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub-Saharan Africa
(12-01-2019, 11:49 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 10:03 PM)Teejay Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 06:22 AM)taramarie Wrote: I went to live in south Africa for some time and my ex funny enough was born in 1976. I definitely wouldn't call him a civic in any sense of the word. He was very VERY nomad in behaviour.

Those South Africans myself and others who were on the old Fourth Turning forum, would consider those South Africans born in 1976 as part of an Artist generation, who grew up through the worst years of the anti-apartheid struggle, making them effectively War Kids.  If they are an Artist generation, given what that generation went through, they must have been deeply scared by having to witness the anti-apartheid struggle. Therefore; they would be often very afraid of those dark days returning, this is true of those Irish born approximately from 1977 to 1995 who experienced the darkest days of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, in that they are afraid that a "No Deal" Brexit and the tearing up of the Good Friday Agreement will bring back The Troubles.

Nomads just don't get scared in that way in their childhoods during an Awakening, my ex Peruvian partner (1982) grew up during a brutal civil war, that killed 70,000 people and whole areas of Peru were ungovernable), followed by an severe economic crash featuring hyperinflation. Yet she did not get scared in the way that members of Artist generations did, rather she got scared by her family situation which was dysfunctional. Also, she has made a lot of massive personal risks in her life, in a ways an Artist certainly would not make. Sure Artists take risks, however Nomads are the most risk taking archetype and often are the ultimate gamblers. I know I have gambled with some truly costly personal risks in my life, most of them have been rather costly.

This sort of scaring happens to every Artist generation, growing up in a society where there is no compromise and struggles are fought in 'total war' way. Indeed an American friend of mine has remarked, that US Generation Zers have become scared through the school shootings (which are a real threat to school children there), domestic white nationalist terrorism and the Trump presidency.

Although it must be noted every generation has people from every archetype, it is just one archetype dominates a generation.

The South African "Generation of 1976" born from around the early 1950s and early 1970s, are called that because of the Soweto Uprising in 1976 which was a social moment for their generation. It is like European Boomers are often called The Generation of 1968, because that year was a social moment for their generation. Not to mention the European peers of the Lost Generation were often called "The Generation of 1914", because of the Great War. Anyway the Generation of 1976 are remembered for the struggles they waged and sacrifices they made to end Apartheid.

The current young adult generation the "Born Frees", are called that because they were born after Apartheid ended and in that they were "Born Free". There is an expectation that the Born Frees, those kids of promise of the Post-Apartheid era are expected to honor the sacrifices that The "generation of 1976' made.

Anyway, what was the mood in South Africa when you lived there, also how long and when you lived there?
The mood in South Africa was one of cultural turmoil which was building up and up and up. I hear it is worsening over there. There is a feeling of a tear down of a whole society and a struggle to build a new one. As I was living there and listened to my south African born ex, (partner at the time), he would sit there watching shows from his childhood and he would cry as it was something he sorely missed. It was like a whole different world. Very conformist and society moved forward. I would actually say being aware of the turning theory and having lived there and seen what its like and seeing videos of his past and how his cohort behaves as a whole that their childhood was one of a high, and now it is very hard scrabble and tensions escalating. As he aged, you couldn't go out on foot anymore. Fences had to be put up high and high security and electrical fencing, spikes and barbed wire. It wasn't that way in his childhood. I was bloody grateful to leave and go back to the island lifestyle where it is far safer here. I would personally say that they are in a crisis or if not, they are heading into one. They have severe racism and shootings of foreigners and when I was leaving there were threats that they would shoot white people next. So I got out real fast as I am a foreign white person. I lived in Africa 5 months with my partner and in that time I experienced quite more than enough and heard all about the past in Johannesburg which is the area I am speaking of specifically. The mood was very intense there. Far more tense than on the island....New Zealand. They are in severe strife over there, culturally and economically it is unstable and inequality is rife. All this said he was more artist like than idealist but sure got fired up about what was going on but too scared to do anything about it over there. He was constantly telling me to zip lip over what I was saying and I was constantly telling him you are not living, you are merely existing and I will not shut my mouth about the bullshit I see going on in your country as it needs to be said. If I see bullshit I refuse to adapt to it and put up with it. The way to fix things is to address its there first and foremost and speak out, and not bury head in sand. I really do not know what era they are in personally but if id choose, id say given tensions are rising and it truly seemed a high when he was a child, id say they are either in a 3rd turning heading to a 4th turning or in a 4th turning. He had fears it would just worsen in coming years. Oh yeah I visited South Africa in 2014, lived there for 5 months with my now ex.

The way you are describing South Africa in 2014 when you visited there, seems one of a society at the beginning stages of an Awakening (which I estimate started in 2012). In a society where an Awakening is beginning, there is still a lot of conformity. However, there is a lot of upheaval as well. This because the young prophet generation are starting to rally against the established order. Although the societal mood is often optimistic and even euphoric, that is the impression I get from the South African media, despite the problems in the country. Also, impression I got of Ugandan society was exactly similar, I am guessing they are very likely in an Early Awakening as well. 

Personally, I believe things in South Africa will not become as bad, as it did during the 1980s. I am much more concerned about such things happening in Australia, once the very overdue economic crisis hits us. I am expecting protests of the sort which have happened in Chile or even an Australian version of Jair Bolosanro to rise to power.

Messages In This Thread
Sub-Saharan Africa - by Teejay - 12-01-2019, 05:29 AM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Hintergrund - 12-11-2019, 08:10 AM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Teejay - 12-11-2019, 07:30 PM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Hintergrund - 12-12-2019, 07:54 AM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Teejay - 04-02-2020, 02:09 AM