Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub-Saharan Africa
(12-02-2019, 07:21 AM)taramarie Wrote: If you are meaning "outer world" with including infrastructure, I would not be able to agree on that given I live in Christchurch at present. I say at present as I am leaving New Zealand for Europe soon. To live permanently. I assume you know what is going on in Christchurch.

The 'outer world' is the whole institutional order itself, South Africa's whole institutional order was totally transformed by the end of Apartheid. Essentially the old 'Union of South Africa' institutional order which had lasted since 1910, was destroyed and replaced by the "Republic of South Africa", which was called the ‘Rainbow Nation’. This whole transformation also resulted in the abolition of Apartheid, the dismantling of the Black only Bantustans, redrawing of Provincial boundaries, a new constitution and new parliament. Some White South Africans did not accept this new institutional order and some of them emigrated to countries such as Australia. This whole process occured towards what myself and others, argue was towards the end of South Africa's last Crisis which ended around 1994.

However, both Australia and New Zealand did not undergo this process during our last Awakening. Rather our whole cultures or ‘inner world’ were totally transformed in this period. That is why the Australian culture and society of the 1950s and 1960s is unrecognizable to me. While I can still recognize the institutional order which existed in the 1950s and 1960s, even if it is now in the stages of falling apart. Usually, the institutional order is not totally transformed in a society until towards the end of the Crisis, which I am expecting will happen in Australia.

The anti-apartheid struggle and the end of apartheid did result in a cultural revolution in South Africa. However, South Africa in 2010s is seeing the early stages a cultural revolution happening, which is being experienced all across sub-Saharan Africa as well currently.

Messages In This Thread
Sub-Saharan Africa - by Teejay - 12-01-2019, 05:29 AM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Hintergrund - 12-11-2019, 08:10 AM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Teejay - 12-11-2019, 07:30 PM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Hintergrund - 12-12-2019, 07:54 AM
RE: Sub-Saharan Africa - by Teejay - 04-02-2020, 02:09 AM