Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can The Economy Ever Be 'Good' While So Many Don't Have Walls?
(03-12-2020, 12:24 AM)TheNomad Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 10:07 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Thus, your argument seems pretty irrelevant to me.

What, exactly, is my 'argument'?  Can you explain it?

- an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
- a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
- a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument. [1]
- a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of their theory.
- an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.
subject matter; theme:

I was not disagreeing, nor debating, nor was I even attempting to perssuade, I think, however maybe not. 

I could copy and paste previous posts to explain, but is that aureatingly tantamount?

[1] Peradventurous

The ‘argument’ might be seen in two parts.  First is general.  Many conservatives seem to be tribal thinkers, caring more about their own groups than people in general.  One stereotypical group is the white, male, evangelical, Republicans, though there are many variations.  The opposite is into all men being created equal, resists government benefits from targeting only specific groups.

I see tribal folks as not wanting to talk about caring about all men equally.  I see it as a basic red blue difference.  I do not think we will bridge the pending crisis until the new values overcome the old, until tribalism is rejected much as kings, slaves and fascism were defeated in prior crises.  As in the prior crisis, the believers in the old values see nothing wrong with them, and want to stick with them.  They do not see how the history books, written under the new values, will portray them as badly mistaken.  

No democracy?  Slaves?  Dictators?  State racism?  War of aggression?  Tribal thinking?  All are comparably wrong.

Second, this thread is dedicated mostly to the homeless.  While the above might apply to several issues, this thread is dedicated to one.  I don’t see it as being solved so long as most people have developed some excuse to not care.  Thus, we must be aware of the elephants in the room.  We can not let them declare they are sick of talking about the new values, and stop speaking of them.

While some of the homeless may be free spirits, as illustrated by the song, may be homeless by choice, the bulk of them are not.  Therefore an argument based on free spirits does not speak to the issue.  It is just an attempt to press the old values, to ignore the people who most need to be addressed.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can The Economy Ever Be 'Good' While So Many Don't Have Walls? - by Bob Butler 54 - 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US debt is now projected to be larger than the US economy random3 0 617 02-17-2021, 11:38 PM
Last Post: random3
  Don’t Vote for a Psychopath: Tyranny at the Hands of a Psychopathic Government random3 32 6,633 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM
Last Post: random3
  Be Careful, But Don't Preach About The Virus TheNomad 1 1,009 03-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Please Just Don't Change? TheNomad 2 1,332 03-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  Why rural voters don’t vote Democratic anymore Dan '82 82 52,678 03-12-2020, 04:36 PM
  Government shutdown may be a good thing nebraska 0 1,008 01-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Texas' low-regulation approach is good for growth nebraska 0 1,084 01-12-2018, 06:57 AM
  Good government is everybody's responsibility nebraska 0 861 12-27-2017, 08:16 AM
  There Are More White Voters Than People Think. That’s Good News for Trump. Dan '82 16 15,715 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM