Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taramarie's question "Why are Boomers moralistic"
I might try a classic turning answer.

In the 4T there are clear problems that have to be solved, major efforts being undertaken, and a significant turnover in values.

Come the 1T, people are tired of values change and upheaval, are very satisfied with the status quo, and ready to suppress anyone not fitting into the new normal.  There is a temptation to believe that what has been achieved is kinda sorta perfect, and the enemies of perfect ought to be kept in their proper perfect place.

Boomers and other prophets grew up seeing their culture as less than perfect, even if the elder generations are trying real hard to pretend that it is perfect.  Such generations see with clear eyes things like slavery, gender inequality, racial inequality, pollution and other social issues that their parents are trying to pretend don't exist or should be allowed to continue to exist.

At least that's my perspective as a Blue Boomer.  I carried a live draft card.  The ladies of my generation had coat hangers as the obvious option.  The lakes and rivers of my youth stank.  The perfect America's Golden Age of the 1950s wasn't perfect at all.  If you grew up in this era, this was painfully obvious.

If you grew up after this era, it is not so painfully obvious.  If one hasn't had to live through a time of blindness and moral bankruptcy, one might not understand the intense feelings and values of those who have.

Contemplate the notion of a live draft card, of being compelled to fight to maintain a dictatorship disliked by it's people.  Meditate on a coat hanger.  Really think about what it must have been like to have been a slave.  These are situations that for the most part don't exist anymore, issues that have never touched more recent generations.  The boomers?  We saw it.  We lived it.  We fought over it.  Those who weren't there don't understand.  Some might use the word 'moralistic' as disparaging, as an undesirable trait.  They don't get it.  Not having been there, they aren't apt to get it.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Taramarie's question "Why are Boomers moralistic" - by Bob Butler 54 - 05-04-2016, 08:01 PM