Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taramarie's question "Why are Boomers moralistic"
(05-12-2016, 04:35 AM)taramarie Wrote: Ah I see. See I read about these things but do not really understand where that fiery spirit comes from. The desire to push for social change and for everyone to fall in line behind them. At least some of them and certainly seems to be more of them than xers here in my country anyway from my experience. As I do not like being controlled it bothers me and i did not understand why it was so important to them for me to follow their advice on things that are personal choices. But I think for some of them that is what is important to them. Going by what you say, it is what freed them and became a goal for them to change the world for the better around them. So what a disappointment us younger folk must be to not appreciate what they fought for when xers and some of us millies bash them. They helped to give us some freedoms we enjoy today, although there are some things I would desire to have also, like no student debt and a wee place for myself would be nice. But getting back on track, yeah I will admit that I chose to use the word moralistic in a negative way. When boomers start trying to decide personal choices for me I make a mental note to try not to be like that as it is rather annoying. The only time i ever did that was to stop my mother from smoking. Then again, i did not preach lol i just threw them out. I have only experienced boomers telling me what to do and what not to do. That in itself has been a sort of control. Control i never really questioned till they were still doing it to me in my young adult years, which i may? still be in?? at age 31? Sort of irritating but this is helping me to understand why they are still cultural fighters. Because it was needed at the time and it has shaped them. Me....I am tired and just want a solution and for it to die down tbh. Tired of the fights. Tired of the bickering. Tired of trying to fight something that will never be solved in my lifetime. So maybe personal should just remain personal in a work environment and do not stir the pot. I just do not know anymore.

I'd follow this up with a few other things...

The Boomers to a great degree got tired too.  Especially here in the states, there was lots of fire and protest in the 60s, but that tended to die in the 70s.  The Boomers as a whole also got tired of the fights, tired of the bickering.  That doesn't mean we've entirely forgotten.  Many Blue Boomers are no longer actively fighting for improvement, but will still bristle up if attempts are made to undo what was done back in the day.

Also, generations have stereotypes, and I distrust stereotypes.  Not every member of every generation fits the default personalities and perspectives associated with folks of their age group.  I tend to expect people around here to embrace the positive aspects of their own generation's stereotypes, while denying or not having the negative aspects.  Part of the discourse here is pride of one's generation's strengths while denying the weaknesses and flaws and dissing the flaws of other generations.  This can result in a rather pointless generation bashing.  Boomers are the source of all the worlds ills?  Really?

And part of it is just style.  Perhaps to some degree the generations will attack a problem in different ways.  Perhaps you can expect moralistic protest from Boomers, hard edge cynicism from Xers and networked teamwork from Millenials.  That's what's supposed to be, right?  Maybe that's real.  But none of the styles seem to be working particularly well just now.  Would we be better off if we could merge the styles into a coherent approach to improving society?  Perhaps.  Is it possible?  Perhaps.  Or are we all tired of the fights, tired of the bickering, not energetic enough to push to get the various problems solved?  Are all generations concerned about the problems in our cultures, but just express it differently?  Will a Boomer preach, an Xer make a cynical comment while the Millennial is typing away on Facebook?
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread