Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T
(03-15-2020, 10:57 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I'm not sure.  The dominant time of the last Awakening was during the progressive era, the tax and spend period.  I would have the heart of it run from the Beatles arrival in America to Nixon's election.  At a guess they would have thrown a bunch of money at it and tried to solve the problem.  There might have been more confidence.  America was believed widely to be able to do anything.  The 'ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" mentality was in place.  People were more ready to sacrifice.

Maybe less fearful and zany, more rational and optimistic.  I don't know though.  The next so called awakening could be very different.  I am not sure the Industrial Age pattern is holding well.

Good analysis. No, the can-do '60s weren't anything like today, so the approach would have been more focused on problem solving than blame shifting.  The tools were less capable then, but better utilized.  I suspect that the pandemic would have been addressed pretty quickly, though the number of sick and dead may have been more … or not.  The examples of St. Louis and Philadelphia were well known then, and would have certainly been used as guidance.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T - by sbarrera - 03-15-2020, 09:12 AM
RE: Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T - by David Horn - 03-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Coronavirus Bob Butler 54 1,542 452,245 02-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 827 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,460 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter