Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T
(03-15-2020, 07:21 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 09:12 AM)sbarrera Wrote: What if COVID-19 had happened 40 years ago, in 1980? It was the tail end of the 2T/Awakening. What would have been different?

I'm guessing there would not have been as much of a government response in the United States. None of this proactive shutting down of schools and businesses. If would have felt less fearful and more zany.

I think essentially nothing would have happened.  We would have taken no steps in response, and any additional deaths would have been attributed to the flu.

In fact, I'm certain that would have happened, because at the time we didn't have the genetic testing technology to identify specific strains of the flu and coronavirus.  But even with the technology, there would not have been the panic and economy crippling overreaction of today.

Today, the arguments on how to respond are largely red versus blue political arguments.  In the second turning, they would have been generational political arguments.  Boomers would have refused to participate in any measures that wouldn't help them, and would only save a few elderly Lost.

But, assuming that it is correct that COVID-19 is actually much more severe than the recent flus, there would have been the same issue with case overload that was experienced in 1918 with the Spanish flu and in Italy today. So there would have been no denying a problem. I would guess, based on the 2T v. 4T difference, that GI-led government would just get blamed no matter what they did - they would get accused of either overreacting or underreacting as fit the circumstances.

Today with this pandemic, there is much more of a sense of public cooperation. People are onboard for the most part with complying with the request to self-quarantine. It's even become a meme that we need to #flattenthecurve as a civic duty.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages

Messages In This Thread
Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T - by sbarrera - 03-15-2020, 09:12 AM
RE: Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T - by sbarrera - 03-17-2020, 11:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Coronavirus Bob Butler 54 1,542 455,709 02-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 829 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,490 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter