Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
debate
(03-16-2020, 06:00 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The fixed system is a variant of S&H, with boomers portrayed negatively and the younger stereotypes positively.  

I did not do that at all.  If anyone will not read entire posts, they shouldn't be commenting.  I took no positive v negative stand. You may also be stuck in a sort of dualism when a completely spectrum should be a focus.

Prophet flushes out a stale culture.   I think many would say that is a positive.  Although, not to the lovers of smooth Jazz of the 1950s and the idea TV should depict what should be instead of what is (reflecting only certain Americans).  This was much needed and none of us can imagine a world where the 1960s did not happen.  Back when I was younger and did not know as much, I may have said the 1960s was unnecessary and even perhaps vain, and I may have taken this "inner journey" thing as a total offense.  But it was so necessary. So many people were liberated even by default. A forcegrip of the old regime broken open to allow the freedom to grow and change - to evolve. I am not one who will say "the dirty hippies ruined everything".  I'm smarter than that.  I demand credit.

Every arm of the Saeculum has both positives and negatives.  The positive of Nomad is the total and complete practicality and pragmatism they bring.

*everything I have just said is within the realm of Straus and Howe*

What is ALSO in the realm of Strauss and Howe you don't want to deal with, the idea the time of the benefit of the Prophet is over. The Prophet is now holding on too long (they said it in plain words if not very implied) and some could say they are further injuring America simply by remaining.  But nut just by being alive.  But by refusing to relinquish power due to their belief ONLY THEY can get us through.  ONLY THEY have the ability to see through this. 

ONLY THEY can save us.  When, in fact, in so many ways, they are keeping us within this spiral of blocked bowel syndrome.

I would guess every archetype in the Strauss & Howe Saeculum model has benefits but also hindrances.  It's always best to know when you are helping and when hindering.

Quote:Things will allegedly get better when the boomers go away.  This is opposite of S&H where the portray each generational stereotype positively as well as viewing the Crisis configuration especially as constructive, and multiple stereotypes meshing well.

This is untrue.  Rather, this is a misrepresentation (I will try to avoid sounding like a personal attack).  They do not portray each archetype as positive OR negative.  They examine each archetype based on - I guess - for what they wrote the texts for.  But they didn't seem to me to be doing a dualistic thing.  Is that from you or from them?

Quote:Many cling to one perspective and distrust the other.  

No clingy for you tho?  

Quote:I know I at least do not apply the S&H stereotypes in personal life.  

They are meant to be applied stereotypically.  How else can they be applied?  The archetypal models (ALL ARCHETYPES) are - by definition - stereotypes.  That word is not a bad word.  It means generalization.

Messages In This Thread
debate - by TheNomad - 03-15-2020, 09:25 PM
RE: debate - by Bob Butler 54 - 03-15-2020, 10:10 PM
RE: debate - by TheNomad - 03-15-2020, 11:17 PM
RE: debate - by Bob Butler 54 - 03-16-2020, 06:00 AM
RE: debate - by TheNomad - 03-16-2020, 07:05 PM
RE: debate - by TheNomad - 03-16-2020, 07:36 PM
RE: debate - by Bob Butler 54 - 03-17-2020, 03:56 AM
RE: debate - by Bob Butler 54 - 03-16-2020, 07:48 PM
RE: debate - by Eric the Green - 03-16-2020, 11:15 PM
RE: debate - by TheNomad - 03-17-2020, 03:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In DACA talks, Trump angers both sides of immigration debate nebraska 0 1,086 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Debate about Gun Control Eric the Green 572 354,576 10-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Classic-Xer
  Debate about the Vietnam War Anthony '58 59 41,230 06-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green