Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fourth Turning is Here! And no one is here!
(03-20-2020, 02:04 PM)jleagans Wrote: Message boards are dead y'all, is there a more frequently used place for Strauss Howe discussions ?  

Strauss Howe on reddit seems the most active, for a conversation forum to exist long-term its gonna need to be on Reddit.

Only Millennials and Gen Z should try to argue with me, as Gen X and Boomers can't be trusted to know anything in regards to technology  Tongue .

I don't think so.  There are already several options open for discussion, and all that's managed to do is to split the interested into isolated camps.  Reddit?  No, it's number two if that.  The most active discussion is on an invitation-only Facebook group.  I find Facebook irritating in the extreme and unsuited to discussion of long duration, so I don't use it.  Is Reddit better? No. So that leaves a forum like this one, that, for good or ill, creates an accessible archive as it's used -- clunky features and all. 

Forums (sic) were a logical outgrowth of Usenet, which was the wild west on steroids. They still support anonymity (a mixed blessing at best) and require moderation to keep them from being overrun with spam.  Facebook is structured, but lacks the ability to support discussions in more than superficial ways.  What does Reddit have going for it? 

And addressing your last comment: I hope you realize that many in the Boom/X contingent on this forum were or still are active Techies. I've been programming computers since 1966 (Fortran and assembly languages), and continues to work in the field until I retired in 2016. I'll let others speak for themselves, but we older folks actually know how the hardware and software work, because we built a lot of it. Don't be condescending.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fourth Turning is Here! And no one is here! - by David Horn - 03-21-2020, 09:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Climax" year of each turning Ghost 99 44,566 06-08-2020, 05:30 AM
Last Post: Isoko
  "The X-Files" name-checking "4th Turning" Increase Mather 0 1,791 01-21-2018, 05:06 AM
Last Post: Increase Mather