Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverberations from times of cosmic awakening social moments
The Woodstock Festival in August 1969 was a climax of the counter-cultural and anti-war awakening of circa 1966. It was "a remarkably ruly gathering" according to historian William L O'Neill (Coming Apart). At that time Jupiter aligned with the ongoing (but soon to end) Uranus-Pluto conjunction that had been exact in 1966. This PBS Newshour report asks: What does Woodstock mean five decades later?

Echoes too of Tahrir Square (called "the Arab Spring's Woodstock") and Occupy Wall Street for the Millennial Generation during the recent re-alignment of the same 3 planets, as the Uranus joined Jupiter in conjunction and in square to Pluto in Jan. 2011. As Todd Gitlin notes in the video, effervescent gatherings are not enough to change the world. They reverberate today, but it takes political work in the trenches to really make a difference. There will be more Woodstocks though, even if not exactly the same. Just as the 2011 events demonstrated. And more Marsaillaise marches, and more artistic, spiritual/religious and intellectual awakenings, and it's these events that do the most to make our lives what they are.

Symbolically, we're still waiting for the Big Cigars!

As Pete and the boys climax this great new song from 2019, their majestic and vibrant music recreates the spirit of liberation that roared through the world in the sixties from California to Woodstock and Britain/Europe and Latin America, and it will never die and will arise again! Just as this new song reverberates that same passion for freedom and justice embodied in Beethoven's Leonore Overture and the Prisoners' Chorus in Fidelio, and in Won't Get Fooled Again and it's immortally-reverberating synthesizer riff.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reverberations from times of cosmic awakening social moments - by Eric the Green - 07-06-2020, 01:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Cosmic Clock of Civilization naf140230 0 2,071 05-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Last Post: naf140230