Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why we are nowhere near the end of the fourth turning
(06-08-2020, 11:38 PM)Mickey123 Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 10:06 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 08:05 PM)Mickey123 Wrote: The police are not going to ever be any better than they are today.  Police officers are what they are, you can go anywhere across the world across time and you'll see the same thing.  They are rough, aggressive, and authoritarian, as this is the sort of person who wants to be a police officer, and they deal with criminals all day, which increases their already existing tendencies.  The way that police officers are will be accepted in the next High.

People in general will never be less racist than they are today, as the tendency to stick with one's own group and be mistrustful of outsiders is built into us.  Human beings were never designed to live in large societies of millions of people, and are doing their best to deal with it as well as they do today.

I see the opposite.

The Enlightenment might have first suggested the three ideas which I call the arrow of progress:  equality, human rights, and democracy.  In each crisis since at least one of these ideas is pushed by the progressive faction and resisted by those who wish things to remain as they are.  You see in the last three American crises kings reduced in power, America freed from colonial imperialism, slaves freed and fascists defeated.

This ls all done over the dead bodies of people who want things to stay forever the same.  Kings are appointed by God.  Every major civilization if based on the cornerstone of slavery.  Wars are started whenever a nation can afford it and sees itself at an advantage.  Always there is a master race, and others to be subjugated.  Etc…

Racism is a non trivial problem.  It is very difficult to change a culture.  Still, every once in a while the people rise against it.  The American Civil War was one example.  The Civil Rights Movement is another.  The last few weeks seems mark another such time.  It is possible to say enough once in a while.  It is on rare occasion possible to take a few steps forward.  You can’t do it every day.  You may never be able to solve the problem completely.  But you can change the culture.

In the Civil Rights Movement, MLK had to march for years to finally get Congress to consider action.  The Black Lives Matter uprising seems to have taken less time to get serious attention.  We will see how hard the conservatives try to fight the people.  Some are very used to superiority.  Trump has pretty much been in their corner as much as he can without openly proclaiming himself a racist.  But I expect he is fighting history on this one.

What exactly do you think will change regarding racism?

Blacks and Mexicans are every bit as racist as whites, and the same goes for Indians (from India) and any other racial group you want to point to.  Japanese and Koreans within their own countries are extremely racist, by U.S. standards.

If you have some method by which American whites will suddenly cease all racist thoughts and feelings, you will have to explain how to get it to work on all the other races of the world as well.  If your theories of the future rely on humanity suddenly experiencing a profound shift and entering a new utopian state where everyone views outsiders just the same as they do people like themselves, you are in for a letdown.  Because nothing I'm saying has anything to do with conservatives, it is simply human nature to see people from other groups differently than those from their own group, whatever that group might be.

We are a global society, and that fact is only going to increase. Despite the xenophobes, borders are falling. Technology, commerce and culture break down the walls. Immigration to all countries can't be stopped. Soon mixed races will be the most common race in the world. Racism is already outdated, and will die in the next 2 centuries. There will be no "other groups" because we will all be of one group. Today, it is in fact social conservatives who see other groups as different from their own. That is the exact definition of social conservatism.

Police will be reformed, just as all institutions get reformed. Progress is the norm; reactionary traditionalism is no longer the norm; not since the Bastille fell and the King was overthrown. Revolution is ongoing.

Best of luck with your exams, as the General says. Meanwhile, no doubt it will take until beyond our lifetimes for me to be proven right about this, so more groups in conflict will certainly happen in the years ahead of us.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why we are nowhere near the end of the fourth turning - by Eric the Green - 06-08-2020, 11:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yes, Biden Wants to End Fracking chairb 0 657 10-19-2021, 01:25 AM
Last Post: chairb
  Green Innovation in The Fourth Turning Eric the Green 0 589 02-15-2021, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Rise Of Tribalism, Racism & Bigotry Most Associated With Which Turning & Why? TheNomad 38 16,497 05-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Rand Paul Leads Bipartisan Effort to End Warrantless Surveillance nebraska 3 2,518 05-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Last Post: dcgal
  Civil War II - Fourth Turning Intensifying nebraska 0 943 12-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Fighting The Fourth Reich X_4AD_84 83 53,699 08-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  The End Of A Republican Party Dan '82 48 31,730 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green