Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve Bannon is obsessed with The Fourth Turning
(02-03-2017, 04:49 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 02:08 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 01:56 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Bannon may subscribe to what I consider a highly flawed TFT interpretation. Namely, that The Crash of '08 did not start the 4T and that up until now we've been stuck in the 3T.

I know there are many even here who are frustrated that after the Crash of '08 we didn't see enough perp walks or enough "New Deal" types of reforms. My own view is, such expectations were naive. We had lots of "infrastructure" in 2008 which did not exist or was not even possible in 1929. We cannot have reasonably expected an FDR / New Deal response this time around. What we got from Obama was a modern version and it had many good features, from the stand point of providing care and feeding of the economy to avoid a protracted Depression. I digress.

Not only does Bannon seem to subscribe to a flawed "we will start the 4T" view, he also seems to believe that there can be a sort of Alt-Right version of the general unity we experienced with the Big Government Dems and faction of Reps during the past Regeneracy and 1T. It's not going to happen. There is way too much diversity (both in terms of demographics and politics) at the national level for that to happen. If there is to be unity it needs to be centered around something besides the Loony Alt Right.

*sigh*
From the article:

Quote:Perhaps not, but putting a Fourth Turning lens on Trump's policies certainly give them a great deal of context. Bannon believes that the catalyst for the Fourth Turning has already happened: the financial crisis.
So now we are in the regeneracy. Howe and Strauss describe this period as one of isolationism, one of infrastructure building and of strong, centralized government power, and a reimagination of the economy. 
Of course it's important not to lose sight of the end here. Bannon believes in authoritarian politics as preparation for a massive conflict between East and West, whether East means the Middle East or China.

He's also been quoted as beleaving an even more catastrophic event will occur, and lead to his predicted end result.  War is part of it, but not the goal.  I don't think Bannon expects much continuing outside the Western Hemisphere.

Take the mittens off, Dave!

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump, Bannon and the Coming Crisis TeacherinExile 234 137,490 08-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Neil Howe: Where did Steve Bannon get his worldview? From my book. Dan '82 32 24,337 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green