Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The failure of the Democratic Party
(02-04-2017, 02:21 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: Yes, it remains to be seen whether the Republicans can consolidate their victory and if the Dems can formulate an effective response.

I also think this whole "What decade is he trying to take us back to thing" reflects liberal prejudices about what alternatives to the status-quo mean more than they reflect any real desire on the part of conservatives to recreate any particular year.

Alternatives to the status quo mean that the people have more opportunity to rise above poverty or avoid sinking into it.
Alternatives to the status quo mean that women and people of color can rise above the discrimination and profiling that still keeps them down.
Alternatives to the status quo mean that we preserve and revitalize our biosphere and environment instead of trashing it.

The status quo which Drump upholds and extends is to pollute our rivers and climate, discriminate against and ban religions and peoples, allow sickos and criminals to have machine guns, and give huge breaks and deregulation to corporations so they can screw us over with impunity, cause more great recessions and keep society firmly in the hands of the 1% forever.

What year does that belong to? To some extent the 1950s, but even more the 1920s, or the Gilded Age, or medieval society; some mixture. Drump and Co. have no idea what the slogan means. It just appeals to super-patriotism and the feeling that things aren't as good anymore, so that Drump can do much more of exactly what made things not as good anymore.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: The failure of the Democratic Party - by Eric the Green - 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forward Party (USA)? nguyenivy 11 1,945 09-03-2022, 02:28 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Neither of the current major party candidates is the "Grey Champion". Einzige 50 39,035 11-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Last Post: 2Legit2Quit