Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clusterf*uck Nation, a commrntary on today's world
(02-13-2017, 04:29 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: This guy (and another guy I'm looking for again) has the scoop on education. Kunstler might have some points, from a generally reactionary point of view. But I think another point of view is closer to the truth.

One of my very favorite George Carlin routines.  He was "spot on" about the state of public education then--and now.  I left the field the year after No Child Left Behind was enacted.  Even in my rich school district, the curriculum was being "dumbed-down" to accommodate the standardized testing regime that was about to metastasize.  Of all the cabinet appointments made by Trump, Betsy DeVos was quite simply the worst.  She is an appalling choice for Education Secretary, really, a billionaire with absolutely no connection to public schools on a personal level.  Neither she nor her kids ever attended public schools, and she never taught in a classroom.  Would that have been too much to ask of a nominee?  It's hard not to see her as a "stalking horse," an ideologue seemingly intent on privatizing public schools in the name of "choice."  If she and her ilk get their way, we'll just end up with a bifurcated education system.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Clusterf*uck Nation, a commrntary on today's world - by TeacherinExile - 02-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is joy and celebration going away in the USA today? Eric the Green 10 1,985 08-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The Post-COVID World beechnut79 10 5,950 03-15-2021, 02:12 AM
  The World Might Be Better Off Without College for Everyone pbrower2a 12 7,883 02-09-2019, 03:45 PM
  World's Fairs pbrower2a 0 1,620 10-04-2018, 01:08 AM