Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long term economic trends and what they imply
(03-06-2017, 01:58 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 12:06 PM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 06:37 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: So who in their right mind would like to work for Amazon in their hell hole fullfillment centers?  Amazon is in dire need of labor organization.  They're liberals, so they ought to support labor rights?  If they, don't then the management is just another example of hypocrisy.

Isn't Bezos a libertarian?  I don't think libertarians are big fans of the labor movement, although I could be mistaken.

He's certainly not a laborite! I heard a story on NPR by a journalist that took a job to get a story about working in a fulfillment center that makes slavery seem tame.  

'Associates' are issued combination tracker/scanners.  They get direction to a particular bin to claim a certain item, and the clock starts on them getting it scanned and on its way.  Once they run to the bin and complete the scan, they are immediately directed to another.  Typically, a nights work (and most work at night) is about 12 miles of running, with a single 30 minute break.  Bio-breaks are on the clock, at the 'associates' risk of inadequate performance.  And another thing, if the item being acquired is not in the bin, every item in the bin needs to be scanned, one at a time, to prove it isn't there.  Again, that's on the 'associate', not the company.  

Inadequate performance is justification for immediate dismissal.

The new wave of exploitation -- workers as athletes. Athleticism degrades rapidly as one gets into one's thirties... all that I can figure is that people get promised that they will have a chance to go into management after ten years or so after graduating from college. Obviously almost all are through at age 35 if they haven't gone into management.

I would have to be desperate to take such a position out of college.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Long term economic trends and what they imply - by pbrower2a - 03-07-2017, 08:10 AM