Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Worry About Peak Oil, Worry About Peak Youth
(05-16-2016, 07:43 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: The great inflection is upon us. The ongoing fall in world wide fecundity, coupled with improved health care and longer life spans, has brought us to the point of Peak Youth.

And guess who's going to pay for this situation?   Huh

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/were-...00694.html

I was aware of this when I was in my early 20's, back around 1980.  Back then SS was going bankrupt and I believed that SS and Medicare would be gone by the time I was 65.  So I resolved to save a lot (which I did). To ensure solvency for the generations older than the Boomers, payroll taxes were raised in the 1980's to levels well above what was needed to pay for current benefits and the surplus used to finance tax cuts for the rich. The GI and Silent gens all collected far far more in benefits (and tax cuts) that they ever paid in, at the expense of Boomers and later gens in their maximum earning years in the 1980's and afterward. 

And then in 2005 the government came up with a plan to stiff the Boomers (and GenX) by getting rid of SS (privatizing they called it).  It did not fly.  The issue of financing these entitlements will come up again. The problem of getting GenX and the Miilies their proper due is actually trivially easy to do, technically.  Assuming GenX and the Millies back the right side, it will be fixed, no sweat.  If they choose the wrong side, then it won't.  So choose wisely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Don't Worry About Peak Oil, Worry About Peak Youth - by Mikebert - 05-18-2016, 04:25 PM