Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How America Became Infatuated With a Cartoonish Idea of ‘Alpha Males’
(05-25-2016, 09:22 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The above post is me.  It is coming from where I've always come from.  It says it with different emphasis as I'm focused on a different time and issue, but the core of it is from where I've been for quite some time.  It follows that I don't have to reject 'Regressive Left PC culture' because I've never stood for 'Regressive Left PC culture'.

Perhaps I'm confusing you with one of the other older posters. I know there has been a running debate on the need for PC euphemisms vs the non-need for them.

Quote:Not that you would have noticed.

Probably not. I have to tackle those who take absurd positions just in order to not have this place be a complete echo chamber.

Quote:There is a common style of strawman argument where a contributor creates a vile parody of how is opponents think then repeatedly attacks the parody.  That's what I see when you go off on your 'Regressive Left PC culture' spiels.  As Reagan said, 'There you go again.'  I don't think that way.  

Or perhaps you've not taken the time to investigate the cutting edge of the left these days. Seriously the Gavin McInnis clip is very similar to the situation I went through.

Quote:Of course, it might be easier for you to attack your strawman rather than to actually try to listen to what I actually believe in.

Or it might be easier if you didn't speak in riddles.

Quote:As for your father, I see him playing some classic 'masculine' roles: angry, assertive, tribal, combative, etc...  He's used some of that well.  He's gathering a following using those tools.  I just don't want the question to be if we want more or less masculine leaders.  As I indicated above, I see both good and bad aspects of the classic 'masculine' stereotype of years gone by.  I'd as soon pursue the good while disparaging the bad.  This means questioning rather than embracing the stereotype.

I think here that you're confusing my father with Daddy. The two are completely different, and honestly I like Daddy more than my on sperm donor, he never had coke fueled orgies in the basement. Has Daddy been angry, assertive, tribal and combative? Absolutely. Like it or not the country is in trouble and embracing those masculine virtues is precisely what we need.

Quote:I see him as a divider, rather than a uniter,

He's actually united a large number of people who wouldn't traditionally vote Republican to vote for him. We're talking record numbers of Blacks, Latinos and Women who are voting for Trump far more than George W. Bush managed and nearly twice as many as Romney.

What he's dividing is the Democrats from those groups they just assumed were in the bag.

Quote:I see him as confronting (at least in talk) the establishment, which to me is a positive.  I see an attacking angry style, which I wouldn't oppose entirely if he were attacking different things.  I see him attracting the Republican base by embracing many of the traditional Republican memes, which puts him on the wrong side of a lot of issues from my perspective.

I often think that those who like to speak about being on the wrong side of history don't seem to understand that history is written by the victors. I find that much of what he speaks about is on the right side, and he has done more than attract the GOP base, he's actually expanding it. Is his style angry? Yes it is. It has to be because the people themselves are angry, he is a reflection of that anger. If the people were not angry than anger would not play as well as it has been doing.

Quote:But I'm going to decide (or rather have already decided) based on these issues rather than on the question of whether your father is more masculine than Hillary.  Rather than embrace stereotypes, I'd rather question them.

Feel free to question them, but understand that for many of us, we understand the country is in trouble, deep trouble, and when one is in trouble they don't call mom (or Hillary in this case) but rather they call on Daddy.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How America Became Infatuated With a Cartoonish Idea of ‘Alpha Males’ - by Kinser79 - 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  America at War With Itself Eric the Green 7 6,655 01-15-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Can America be "great" without great culture? Eric the Green 31 14,002 03-02-2019, 09:24 AM
  death rates of white middle class American males Eric the Green 76 57,141 04-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  The End of White Christian America Eric the Green 4 5,122 12-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Last Post: FLBones
  Five myths about class in America Odin 1 2,742 07-02-2016, 04:39 PM