Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most Americans think too many people are easily offended
(08-05-2016, 12:36 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 12:18 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 12:06 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 11:52 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Regressive liberal and regressive leftist seems like different terms. A liberal is more moderately on the left than a leftist.

Of course the sentiments expressed in my favorite rock song are familiar to me; how the new boss can become like the old boss. The despotism of liberty; the dictatorship of the proletariat; well-known phenomenon in history.

Taramarie is an authoritarian, because she feels entitled to determine for everyone who hurts whose feelings, and who is entitled to take offense over what.

5. Free speech must come with no caveat. I agree. Although I tend to think there is such a thing as a hate crime.

4. I am more "regressive" in his terms, which he exaggerates. His views on this item are typically conservative, ethno-centric, and deceptive. This is Clarence Thomas nonsense. I don't want any "ethnic cleansing" against my own race and gender, of course. That is just his exaggerated view of affirmative action. To deny that there are groups that have been oppressed and still need to have opportunities opened up, is just a right-wing point of view. A preview of his #1.

3. I don't engage in this one too much, although kinser might think that I do. But he is himself a good example of #3.

2. No, not me; regulations yes; but no bans unless by consensus.

1. He exaggerates liberal views into a straw man in order to knock them. On the whole, yes, I am "regressive" in his terms, though again, not to the degree that he would label me as. On the whole, he is wrong on #1, and he's just another conservative denouncing liberal positions, not an "intellectual" and certainly not a liberal denouncing "regressive" liberal positions. No, he is the regressive. SJWs would certainly have much grounds for calling him a racist. Such labels are problematic. But "Multi-culturalism is ruining The West?" That is a truly regressive idea, because there ain't no "West" anymore, and it needs to go away anyway as a separate identity. We are one people on one planet, and need to learn from all "races," peoples and traditions and not try to build walls to block out the "reality" flooding in all around us. That's "reality." This guy is probably voting for Donald Trump. No "rational intellectual" he Smile
You are not considerate of others Eric. That is what concerns me. You want to drink and smoke etc i do not care. You want to race around in a car or believe in magical unicorns i do not care although i will think you are stupid. But if you hurt other people, i do have a problem with that. It is bullying. I stand up to bullies because i was bullied. That is the difference between me and authoritarians. You can say whatever you want but crossing the line for me is to bully or be intolerant of different tastes in music or thinking groping is ok regardless of how another feels about being touched that way. Just a couple of examples. The problem between us is the insensitivity.

There you go again. But note again you are so eager to criticize people, that you jump on me before I can have a chance to rephrase or reconsider my statement and edit it. How you manage to do that is amazing, but it just shows how fanatical you are about it.

I am not intolerant of different tastes in music. I have a different theory of aesthetics than the usual post-modern idea that you adopt in order to defend your own tastes, and I have opinions about which "music" is actually good music and which isn't, which should not offend anyone, but which others are free and entitled to disagree with.

Consider what you say before you post it then. I care about including everyone and not judging their tastes or ideas (unless it hurts others). THAT is the exception. I am actually not just defending my tastes. I actually do not like all music that is posted yet i stand back and look at it objectively to find what others like in it whether it is the music or the lyrics or even a memory. Because that is being accepting and part of what we were taught to do in the degree course. I am not disputing that you should not be free to express displeasure over certain music. But to say culture is wrong/should be a certain way to your liking/noise is for boys (boise)/people should like complimentary touching (as another example) is all intolerance of those who like something you do not as well as not caring how others feel. What is wrong about simply saying i do not like it? Or with the other case ok society does not like certain touching. I should be respectful and respect that it is not acceptable? It could be because you are a boomer who wants to change the culture to your liking. But along the way is the collateral damage and those who you do not accept (unacceptable music/culture and its followers) will be pushed aside or preferably changed. Why otherwise would you say it is wrong and should sound different (does not have to sound angry) etc if you did not want to change it? I thought lefties were supposed to be accepting of all differences?

How you approach music is up to you; I have no dog in that fight, as Rags might say Smile But you cannot impose on me your views of how to approach music.

Yes, I can say culture should be a certain way. I could only wish that I could "impose" it on anyone. I obviously can't, and fortunately I don't want to do any more than express my opinions.

You can learn to respect that I have a different opinion about music and about touching than you do. I certainly did not and do not agree with you that kinser had the right to punch someone out because he saw someone groping. That's what that earlier discussion was about.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: most Americans think too many people are easily offended - by Eric the Green - 08-05-2016, 01:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Media manipulation targeting one ethnic community (Cuban-Americans in South Florida pbrower2a 0 917 10-24-2021, 09:17 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Those people in the upper midwest Eric the Green 44 25,838 12-10-2016, 06:21 PM
  Most Americans say children are better off with a parent at home Dan '82 14 10,178 10-19-2016, 03:41 PM