Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct
Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer, facing allegations of sexual assault, was placed on seven-day administrative leave by Major League Baseball on Friday, a decision that will prevent him from making his scheduled start on Sunday.

Bauer, whose side has denied the allegations, has declined to appeal MLB's decision.
"We reaffirm our original statement and refute [the woman's] allegations in the strongest possible terms," Bauer's co-agents Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba said in a statement. "Mr. Bauer will not appeal MLB's decision to place him on administrative leave at this time in an effort to minimize any distraction to the Dodgers organization and to his teammates."
Administrative leave, adopted under a joint domestic violence policy between MLB and the MLB Players Association, is not considered a suspension; the player still gets his full salary despite not participating in games.

MLB can request an extension of seven additional days with consent from the MLBPA. Doing so would keep Bauer off the field through the All-Star break, buying more time for an ongoing investigation.

"MLB's investigation into the allegations made against Trevor Bauer is ongoing," the league wrote in a statement. "While no determination in the case has been made, we have made the decision to place Mr. Bauer on seven-day administrative leave effective immediately. MLB continues to collect information in our ongoing investigation concurrent with the Pasadena Police Department's active criminal investigation. We will comment further at the appropriate time."

Bauer has been accused by a woman of choking her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters earlier this year, according to a domestic violence restraining order that was filed in L.A. County Superior Court this week, copies of which were obtained by ESPN on Wednesday.

While asking the court to issue a no-contact order that would prevent Bauer from coming within 100 yards of her, the woman, a 27-year-old who resides in San Diego, provided graphic details of sexual encounters with Bauer and photographs that show two black eyes, scratches on her face and bruised and cut lips. The alleged incidents took place at Bauer's home in Pasadena, California, on April 21 and May 16, and are being investigated by the local police department.

The restraining order was executed as a temporary ex parte, which can be achieved without input from the other party. Bauer's side plans to deny the account during a hearing scheduled for July 23, according to his representatives. On Tuesday, those representatives issued a statement denying that Bauer had assaulted the woman, calling the encounters "wholly consensual." The following day, they provided a series of text messages that show the woman inviting rough sex and talking about how she wants him to "gimme all the pain" and "choke me out."

Dodgers CEO Stan Kasten told reporters Friday that he trusts the investigation being conducted by the commissioner's office
"I know what has been in the public domain. Apparently there's plenty more information that I have not been told, that I am not privy to, that I do not know anything about," Kasten said. "And so I'm going to wait until all of that fact-gathering is complete and the decision was made."
Manager Dave Roberts also commented on MLB's decision to put Bauer on leave Friday, telling reporters before the Dodgers opened a weekend series against the Washington Nationals that they "are going to support whatever decision MLB makes."

"We'll focus on tonight, obviously," he said, adding that the Dodgers "also need to figure out Sunday, and we're trying to figure that out as well, but that also is affected by the next two nights so that's kind of where we're at right now."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/3175...llegations
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct - by pbrower2a - 07-02-2021, 05:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unkind, Risk Averse and Untrusting beechnut79 13 9,808 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund