Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If The Russians Engineered a Trump Victory
(03-02-2017, 06:00 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote:
(03-02-2017, 05:33 PM)David Horn Wrote: Are you also arguing for turning the other check?  The GOP has pretty long record of malfeasance here.  Giving them a pass is a near certainty of more to come.

Not necessarily.  But one thing I learned early on as a teacher--mainly by substituting all over a big school district, as a way to hone a classroom management style prior to becoming a full-time teacher--is not to fight little battles.  Writing up students for small infractions, like chewing gum in class, was not the way I wanted to invest my emotional and ethical "capital."  I saved that for the big issues, like cheating and bullying.  This kerfuffle with Jeff Sessions strikes me as just so much Democratic revanchism for whatever reason.  Maybe the Democrats will succeed in getting a scalp by having Sessions resign.  (I don't think he will.)  And, personally, his recusing himself from any future investigation is sufficient penance...for now.  Ask yourself this: Does our country really have the luxury of pursuing a long, expensive, and contentious investigation into the whole Trump/Russia connection?  I don't think so. 

I say move on.  This is not the battle Democrats want to fight, nor are they in a position of strength to successfully wage such a battle.  If Trump and the GOP is going to be tripped up at all, let it be by virtue of their economic failings, not some low-grade ethical scandal.  And by the way, I'm rooting for Trump to be successful (with some qualifications).  There's simply too much at stake for all of us if he should fail.  And that's coming from someone who opposed his candidacy every step of the way.

I have to disagree here.  First, we have a major power interfering in our elections, and this Session issue is part of it on some level.  We can't just ignore it.  Second, it certainly far exceeds the standard the GOP applied when they endlessly investigated Hillary's email server.  Trump's still pushing the "Lock her up" meme, and a strong counter here may finally kill that.  Third, the Democrats can't act weak, even though they are at the moment.  So was the GOP in 2009, and we know how that played the next year.  Fourth, and most important, we have an administration that has run roughshod over the normal process.  We've seen this movie before, and it doesn't end well.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If The Russians Engineered a Trump Victory - by David Horn - 03-03-2017, 06:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rachel Maddow lied about the Russians placing bounties on American soldiers in Afghan Einzige 0 714 04-17-2021, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Einzige