Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Alt-Right?
(08-27-2016, 01:43 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [quote pid='7845' dateline='1472251144']
Eric the Green Wrote:Reading that interesting article, I am struck by this paragraph:

Quote:"The conservative instinct, as described by Haidt, includes a preference for homogeneity over diversity, for stability over change, and for hierarchy and order over radical egalitarianism. Their instinctive wariness of the foreign and the unfamiliar is an instinct that we all share – an evolutionary safeguard against excessive, potentially perilous curiosity – but natural conservatives feel it with more intensity. They instinctively prefer familiar societies, familiar norms, and familiar institutions."

It sorta depends on time reference.  After a while it seems, folks from whereever end up raising mutts.

"Sadness will follow you everywhere you go"

I think it's actually, "no matter where you go,  you can't leave yourself behind". Cool
 For many people such would be Hell. They would alternate between rock concerts and motorcycle riding.

Rock concerts and poker junckets are more my thing.

Quote:The alt-right’s intellectuals would also argue that culture is inseparable from race. The alt-right believe that some degree of separation between peoples is necessary for a culture to be preserved. A Mosque next to an English street full of houses bearing the flag of St. George, according to alt-righters, is neither an English street nor a Muslim street — separation is necessary for distinctiveness."

I totally disagree, as someone who thinks that the quality of cultural expression is to some degree objective, and that good and bad culture exists. I disagree with Taramarie and others on this. But just as I as a white person can appreciate some black jazz artists and Motown and other black musicians, and the elaborate designs on Muslim mosques, and the amazing spiritual power of Buddhist and Hindu arts and temples, and the colorful weavings of Mayan artists, and so on and so on, and am influenced by them and want to preserve them, I am sure that Asians and Africans and Muslims and Latinos and whoever can appreciate Bach and Beethoven and Chartres Cathedral and Michaelangelo, etc., and want to preserve and be influenced by them and perform them and support them, and so on.

The above seems correct.

Yes. Quality matters, and the Good Stuff has not all been created in western Europe and America.
If one speaks of Western Civilization, one must recognize that the largest part of Western Civilization is to the south of San Diego, El Paso, Brownsville, and Key West. Let's also remember that defining peoples as decadent denies one the opportunity to enjoy some great achievements in culture, but even worse pu7ts such people at risk of dispossession, exile, enslavement, and even extermination. 

I don't like cheap plastic stuff that wears out that one finds on the shelves at Wallyworld.

Quote:Separation is not necessary for distinctiveness at all. In fact, you trace the history of any culture back far enough, and you find other cultures at their roots. And cross cultural stimulation is often what creates the best culture. No, I prefer kumbaya; although specifically I would not choose it as one of the best songs ever Wink Or "Imagine" either, for that matter. But I like the sentiments expressed!

Eric knows what Rags likes.

War, such as the alt-right thinks is the natural result of non-separation, results from their own attitudes of tribalism. It's this that causes war, just as it did 60 and 100 years ago, as if these alt-righters seem to have forgotten the most unforgettable and horrible history.

Every ideology has its foibles, Eric.

Quote:No, the real trend of today is toward one people on one earth, and it's silly and foolish to resist it. We are each inheritors of all the traditions of humankind. That's exactly what makes our age special.

You might want to tell the folks in the Middle East that.  They hate each other.

Quote:And the best culture is not a product of race, or of separate, distinct peoples. It's the product of spiritual inspiration, and/or physical energy, and/or heart-felt emotions (IOW, "Oooh Eee OOh Ah-AAH" read my page if you don't get the meaning). Another special quality of our time is how much more freely more people are open to and receive these inspirations than in past times when most peoples' noses were strictly confined to their grindstones. Or, at least, such is the case during or near to the times of Awakening/2T periods.

It depends on the person.  Rags does hard rock, poker junkets, gardening, home cooking [pinto beans with garden fresh onions, chopped ham, and spices is awesome with green sauce prepared with tomatillos, onions, garlic, and cilantro.] and tobaccy processing.

Much greatness is synthesis. The greatest achievers in culture typically make their national and 'racial' origins irrelevant.
[/quote]

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/02/scienc...rills.html

Yup.  It's in the genes man.
---Value Added Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Alt-Right? - by Ragnarök_62 - 08-27-2016, 06:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Russia, Iran and China afraid of Joe Biden? rnewo 0 592 01-31-2021, 10:59 PM
Last Post: rnewo
  Neo-nationalism, Identitarians and the Alt-Right Teejay 20 8,459 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Purcellville raising the bar for bad government nebraska 0 726 01-14-2018, 04:25 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Alt Right vs Great Power Saec Nazi Symps X_4AD_84 13 9,904 05-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Big Lies Bob Butler 54 313 157,354 03-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Odin