Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blockchain Technology
(02-16-2018, 12:15 PM)tg63 Wrote: Blockchain is the underlying technology that enables other stuff (like cryptocurrencies like bitcoin) ... but it's a bit like saying in 1995 that http and ftp will be the major tools of the next 20 years - they are, but the value is in what people have built on top of these (i.e. apps like google, facebook, twitter, etc).  The thing to watch is what will be built on top of blockchain.

Correct. And in the overall scheme of things, we've barely started or not even out of the starting gate yet!!!

I read an article just this morning regarding not only the speed of technological innovation, but also how rapid the rate of adoption has become. They highlighted the tablet, that went from ~zero~ to 50% population adoption in 5 years, which is extraordinary. 

The issues with blockchain involve scale, of course, which is quickly being resolved, but in my view the primary obstacle is its disruptive potential. This technology is going to touch every industry and person on the planet. In the taxi business we've got Uber and Lyft totally changing how we purchase temporary, local transportation. In trucking we have self-driving vehicles already on the horizon. Consider for a moment when straight peer-to-peer distributed networks come along disrupting the disruptors. 

Millennials are community-oriented. Blockchain and cryptocurrencies fit this emerging Zeitgeist to a tee. If this generation is to be our warriors, coming to society's rescue, what better tool could there be to completely renovate our outdated structures and systems?

Messages In This Thread
Blockchain Technology - by Keith - 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
RE: Blockchain Technology - by tg63 - 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM
RE: Blockchain Technology - by Keith - 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM
RE: Blockchain Technology - by pbrower2a - 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM
RE: Blockchain Technology - by Keith - 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military Technology radind 10 5,148 06-14-2021, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Tim Randal Walker
  Dopamine, technology, and pleasure pbrower2a 2 3,335 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Ragnarök_62