Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Crisis War Unfolding Now?
(08-22-2018, 11:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I'd love it if Bernie Sanders could win. He has a better shot than most of the "true progressives" (apart from Sherrod Brown, perhaps). But the odds are likely against him. It may depend on whether Trump continues to screw himself more and more, so much so that some of his base is chipped away, assuming he is renominated. It will take a whole lot of serious Trump errors before the extremist party dumps him, either in the Senate or at the polls. I'm not optimistic. But if he IS dumped, Pence is easier to beat, inherently (8-7 score, no better than Warren). He has the charisma of a wooden indian. That's the best reason from our point of view to dump Trump. Liberals (including me once upon a time) overestimate the importance of correct ideology in choosing a candidate, and forget that charisma and confidence is the key to victory.

For 2020 and beyond, youth is the key. We Boomers were a huge generation, but the Millennials are biggest now … and by a wide margin. I don't see a nearly 80-year old Bernie Sanders brining out the youth vote. Sherrod Brown lacks charisma, and Elizabeth Warren has the same age problem as Bernie. Someone needs to emerge; I just don't see who.

Eric the Green Wrote:A candidate with the same views as Hillary Clinton, but more articulate and likable, would have won in 2016 (a candidate with a higher horoscope score would have won). You were right that Hillary was not a good choice; I had more confidence in her than you did, even though I knew the "score." And you're right she probably would not have been able to push her agenda forward, and maybe it wasn't a decisive or strong enough agenda to push the nation forward. We would have avoided the disaster now unfolding though, so it's up to Americans to see that disaster, and to see that the better choice now is to move further forward than before, rather than further backward than ever before, and hope it's not too late after the damage now occurring.

Hillary was a policy wonk and that never works in politics. People want to be inspired, not graded on how well they learned the last lecture.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
The New Crisis War Unfolding Now? - by TheNomad - 06-05-2018, 07:25 AM
RE: The New Crisis War Unfolding Now? - by David Horn - 08-23-2018, 12:18 PM