Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature. Bravo!
(10-16-2016, 02:04 PM)gabrielle Wrote: So you see, Eric, sometimes the lyrics are more important than the music.

No, not at all! Only when considering a Nobel Prize for LITERATURE. They don't have a Nobel Prize for music. They do have Pulitzers, and Grammies, and Academy Awards, etc.

Dylan's music was as good and as important as his words. (Otherwise I would never have chosen any of his songs as "best ever;" but I did.)
If that weren't so, he would have just written books. Like what the rappers should do, in my opinion.

Arguably, in a piece like "Alice's Restaurant," the words are more important. But even then, it would never have worked for me without the jaunty and brilliant little tune.

Quote:Whenever I point out the great lyrics in a song he doesn't like (like for example the song I am about to post on the other thread), he says the music is more important than the lyrics. I don't think that is always the case. Bob Dylan's lyrics were brilliant, and the music was secondary. His singing voice is not conventionally beautiful.

Good words can be appreciated in their own right. I am a writer as well as a composer. But I do not like or give credit to music that is not good, as I hear it. It does not matter what Taramarie's views about me are.

Dylan's singing was not conventionally beautiful. Now that he's older, it's sometimes not beautiful in any sense. But what is conventionally beautiful, has nothing to do with beauty in any case. Beauty is something you hear and know for yourself. It is not something imposed by convention. Often his singing is moving and I hear it as beautiful. Heavy metal screamers? Not so much. Not so much.

When I hear grunge (including the Beastie Boys, most-likely), I don't hear beauty. But you pointed out an artist who did a grunge song and brought out its good potential. You've also pointed out some songs (though not most of them) from the "lost" era that I agree with you on. If my opinion is that pop music has generally declined since the 2T (with some faint indications of minor improvement in the 4T), that is only a generality. There are the exceptions, and there are the fringes. As I've have already, hmmmm, said........
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature. Bravo! - by Eric the Green - 10-17-2016, 12:22 AM