Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bilateral trade deals, or MexicaFTA & CanadaFTA
This Fourth Turning so far has seen a backlash against the Globalization which characterized the previous Turning. Right now, economic nationalism and protectionism have come back into vogue. This process has been behind the rise of Nationalist, populist, Eurosceptic parties across Europe, Brexit and the election of Donald Trump in the United States.

This has meant the political parties which advocate these stances (which are on the right and even far-right) have done well at the ballot box while that advocating globalization or “globalism” have been hammered at the ballot box.

The centre-left throughout the Western World have generally held on to “globalist” positions and been hammered at the ballot box. However, the far-left which has criticised globalization in its current form as corporate dominated have done well at the ballot box as well. I would give parties such as Syriza in Greece and Podemos in Spain. Also, Britain under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn (who is not a globalist) has been rather netural towards ‘globalism”, although the British Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership has become closer to parties such as Syriza and Podemos.

If I were a betting man once the ‘great devaluation’ comes to Australia, complete with the government bailouts of the banks and austerity to pay for it. I am predicting that some far-left party, wither an Australian Labor Party adopting far-left, populist policies or even a new political party could dominate the political landscape. Since one the great devaluation comes immigration is going to cease as a political issue and we have not faced the migration crisis the European union has experienced, which has fueled right-wing populist and nationalist parties.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bilateral trade deals, or MexicaFTA & CanadaFTA - by Teejay - 09-02-2018, 07:54 PM