Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bilateral trade deals, or MexicaFTA & CanadaFTA
(09-03-2018, 01:16 PM)sbarrera Wrote:
(09-02-2018, 07:54 PM)Teejay Wrote: This Fourth Turning so far has seen a backlash against the Globalization which characterized the previous Turning. Right now, economic nationalism and protectionism have come back into vogue. This process has been behind the rise of Nationalist, populist, Eurosceptic parties across Europe, Brexit and the election of Donald Trump in the United States.

This has meant the political parties which advocate these stances (which are on the right and even far-right) have done well at the ballot box while that advocating globalization or “globalism” have been hammered at the ballot box.

This I definitely agree with. The question is how much can newly empowered political factions dismantle globalism?

Good question. I believe quite substantially especially after the second Global Financial Crisis I am predicting will come in the next couple of years.

At least when it comes to Europe there is a possibly that the European Union could collapse in the next few years which would be a major defeat for the globalists. I see Brexit only as just the beginning, because President Macron of France admitted that the French people would leave the European Union if a referendum was held on if France should remain in the European Union.

However the Brexit referendum was a pretty close run 51.89% for leave to 48.11% to remain. Also there were sharp generational differences. with Millennials being very strongly in favor of remaining in the European Union and old generations voting to leave the European Union.  I do wonder if this pro-European versus Eurosceptic sentiment in other European countries also exhibits these sharp generational differences. 

I follow British politics a bit and this referendum was pretty divisive and the whole issues is major conflict in the Conservative Party. The Labour party does have this divide although to a lesser degree, although Jeremy Corybn was criticized in his party for not strongly campaigning for remain. If Labour wins the next British general election an another referendum on Britain's membership in the European Union could happen and Brexit reversed. Not to mention there were sharp regional differences in the Brexit results, while Greater London, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted strongly for remain. On the other old industrial heartlands of the Midlands and the North voted strongly for leave. 

[Image: vote1b.png]

[Image: _90081395_eu_ref_uk_regions_leave_remain_gra624.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bilateral trade deals, or MexicaFTA & CanadaFTA - by Teejay - 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM