Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The progressive bid to save capitalism
(09-02-2018, 08:28 PM)Teejay Wrote: As I see the progressives have really not produced an comprehensive alternative to the Economic Nationalism and Protectionism which has been advocated by right-wing populist politicians and candidates across the world. .............
Therefore; an economic model needs to be developed based along the principles of environmental sustainability and reject the idea of constant economic growth (which I believe clashes with environmental sustainability). I do need to do some research on the economists who are either working on or developed such a model.

Yes, two references:

1.  Block, Fred L., and Margaret R. Somers. The Power of Market Fundamentalism: Karl Polanyi's Critique. Harvard University Press, April 2014. 
2. Jacobs, Jane. Systems of Survival: A Dialogue on the Moral Foundations of Commerce and Politics. New York: Random House, 1992.

Model

1. levels of common resources, protected resources, private resources
2. flows between the above resources.
3. Precautionary caps are used to regulate the flows between the various accumulations.

Assumptions:
1. Use Jacobs description of guardian (government) and commercial (business) in symbiotic relationship
2. Use Polanyi's description of economic theory.

Assume:  The Lockean Proviso supports the privatization of the commons and must remain true for the continued justification of private property rights by individuals and corporations. The Lockean Proviso was devised as the criterion to determine what makes property acquisition just. When the Lockean Proviso is not true then private property acquisition is unjust to others.

The Lockean Proviso is true when there is enough left in common for others and the quality is good enough so that others are not deprived of the use of the common resource. An unsustainable world is when the quality of the commons is depleted so that others are deprived of resources.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The progressive bid to save capitalism - by igranderojo - 09-03-2018, 05:51 PM