Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neo-liberalism, the ideology that shackles us
(11-02-2019, 08:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 04:24 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: I'm definitely better off than I was in 1979.  Than 1999, definitely not.

The free market works fine as long it's actually a competitive free market; that's what liberalism really is.  When the big guys grew to multinational oligopolies, and they started making their money from globalist exploitation instead of competing for customers, that's when the problems happened.  That's when liberalism turned into neoliberalism.

Contra Eric, it's all the leftist billionaires at tech giants like Google and Facebook that are driving neoliberalism now.  The Mercers aren't even globalist, though the Kochs are.

Yes, but I wouldn't call these guys "leftists" anymore, although they might contribute to Democrats.

Yes, neoliberalism is globalist exploitation, but it's also the domestic kind. But libertarian economics (aka neo-liberalism) automatically turns into oligopoly, unless regulated. That's how it goes. The big guys eat up the little guys in short order.

Any idea that freedom depends on the market is neo-liberalism.

Somebody tell Terror-Marie not to eat so much popcorn. It's not good fer ya.

We have a conflict between high-tech plutocrats who seem to need some sophistication among their customers and old industry that doesn't. When the elites are not in conflict, then there is some freedom. When those elites operate in lockstep, there is none. The Unified Right formed when Southern agrarians and Northern industrialists formed a coalition able to flood the political process. 

If we want real freedom in the next Turning, then we will need to reduce the concentration of economic and bureaucratic power. People such as the Old Order Amish reject technologies that they consider harmful to their ways. (I would not reject much of what they reject).
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neo-liberalism, the ideology that shackles us - by pbrower2a - 11-06-2019, 11:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neoliberalism/"free"-market economics ideology, the cause of our problems Eric the Green 27 5,656 01-06-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  John Boehner criticizes Republicans, but does he reject neo-liberalism? Eric the Green 21 6,361 04-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  National Liberalism: It's Still Very Much Alive Anthony '58 10 3,185 11-27-2019, 12:08 AM
  Neo-nationalism, Identitarians and the Alt-Right Teejay 20 8,392 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Neoliberalism: The Ideology That Dares Not Speak Its Name TeacherinExile 122 65,813 01-28-2017, 09:31 PM
  The ideology of Silicon Valley Dan '82 9 6,616 05-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58