Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neo-liberalism, the ideology that shackles us
(11-18-2019, 03:41 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 05:10 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 04:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 04:54 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: I'm not particularly worried by neoliberalism. One thing I always have to say is that neoliberalism is simply liberalism or capitalism. The speaker seems to believe it started in the 1980s, but the truth is it exists since the 18th century. Since in America liberalism has come to mean what I call Inclusivism, I sometimes use market liberalism to remind the listener/reader that I'm thinking of its older meaning. Then market liberals' forces are dwindling, they are mostly Boomers or even Silents, who embraced it in the 80s. The doctrine is also under attack from both the Left and the Right. I cannot imagine the remnants to retain influence during the upcoming 1T.

I don't expect a revolution, but a slow decrease of market liberals' influence, as it's already been happening since 2008. Eventually money and jobs will be obsolete, and there will be no possibility of capitalism:
https://www.futuretimeline.net/23rdcentu...e-timeline

That's somewhat true. Neo-liberalism is classical liberalism from the 18th century, but with neo or new elements. It basically is only concerned with "economic freedom" and the classical liberal concerns about human rights and consent of the governed are incidental. And whereas classical liberalism was laissez faire, allowing business to operate without government interference or support, neo-liberalism advocates and carries out deliberate interference at home and abroad in order to ensure that government does not interfere in the market.

It is the chief problem to be concerned about, far more than any Arab terrorism and anti-Israeli scheme or any green excesses. Neo-liberalism allows business to concentrate and create an oligarchy. It has nothing to do with freedom, because it allows corporations to control the world. It hamstrings any attempt by the government to regulate and apply correctives to misconduct by business. It is extremely utopian and unrealistic, and tries to convince us that businessmen are altruistic and will always do the right thing, and the market will decide policies correctly. But humans are still greedy and fearful, and none more than big businessmen (and it's still mostly men; neo-liberalism has no interest in equality or social issues; in fact neo-liberalism is predominantly racist and misogynist, because it condemns and blames those who seek welfare, which are often the poorer groups in society). It is something to be concerned about, for sure.

What is decreasing in influence will be the neo-liberal memes and slogans. If work is no longer needed because robots do most of it, then where is the exaggerated veneration of work, and condemnation of those who seek income support from the government? If a few neo-liberal tycoons own all the robots, why should they be entitled to all the benefits of technology; which was supposed to save labor, not make everyone except them poor. And if the masses have no jobs and no money to buy the neo-liberals' products, what becomes of their business and their income anyway?

I do think that neo-liberalism exists on borrowed time. But right now they control the strings at a crucial time when the planet is warming, gun violence is mounting, and inequality and national debts are still mushrooming. Since 2010 neo-liberal rule has increased, not decreased, in the USA and worldwide, and the Neo-liberal-in-Chief in the White House is still pushing the ideology as if there's no tomorrow.

Also, if the economy recovers well over a given period and inequality decreases, including for ethnic groups and women, then neo-liberalism could become tempting again. It's an attractive doctrine, because ideally we should not need the government to tell people what to do. But when will this ideal be practical? Given our current conduct, I think it's going to be a pretty long while.

-- this is why we need 2 vote Bernie next year. Should of done it in 2016

Ps Eric your paragraph about neolibturdism & corporations controlling the world- that's actually fascism according 2 Mussolini. Fascism has nothing 2 do with killing Jews or beating up gypsies & gays. That's antisemitism, racism, & homophobia  respectively. Fascism is government of the corporations, by the corporations, & 4 the corporations. Ok I'm paraphrasing here but that's basically what Mussolini said

I agree. Although fascist regimes also partake of "antisemitism, racism, & homophobia" as well, or at least some of these and other kinds of social conservatism and nationalism. It is a better and more appealing source of popular support for fascists than corporations are.

Neolibturdism is not specifically racist in its ideology, necessarily, but it tends to become allies with racism because it appeals so strongly to those who resent giving "their" tax money for welfare and social programs to "those people" (you know, those people who don't work and are dependent on government; you know, those people..... ). That meme is the primary support for the power of neo-liberalism in the USA. That's why southern and other redneck states vote for it.

-- yeah Fascism/neolibturdism needs a scapegoat. These days the antisemitism is directed @ the other Semites- Muslims & Arabs in general. Homophobia is still present (but @ least not rampant) & the racism directed @ Latinos.
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neo-liberalism, the ideology that shackles us - by Marypoza - 11-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neoliberalism/"free"-market economics ideology, the cause of our problems Eric the Green 27 5,654 01-06-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  John Boehner criticizes Republicans, but does he reject neo-liberalism? Eric the Green 21 6,361 04-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  National Liberalism: It's Still Very Much Alive Anthony '58 10 3,185 11-27-2019, 12:08 AM
  Neo-nationalism, Identitarians and the Alt-Right Teejay 20 8,392 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Neoliberalism: The Ideology That Dares Not Speak Its Name TeacherinExile 122 65,789 01-28-2017, 09:31 PM
  The ideology of Silicon Valley Dan '82 9 6,615 05-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58