Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospects of the Collapse of Civilization
(03-06-2019, 10:31 PM)Hintergrund Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 10:46 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: I've read somewhere that the Emperor wanted to negotiate an honourable act of surrender, and asked the Pope to mediate, but Truman decided to fight to bitter end because he wanted to humiliate Japan and spread achievements of the American Revolution there. He succeeded, but I still cannot approve of the nuclear attack.

Truman knew WW1, he wanted to spare the lives of his soldiers, even if nobody else thought about that.

There were estimates that the war might claim another million lives of G.I.s, and even more Japanese. Even if the Japanese wouldn't decide to kill all of their PoWs or massacre millions of Chinese like they did in the Rape of Nanking before.

Give 'em Hell, Harry!

I agree with you Bill. A demonstration might have convinced Japan to surrender. But it's true the Japanese needed a change in their government, and that worked for them. That would have had to be a part of the deal. Continuation of the militarist regime was not acceptable after what it had done.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prospects of the Collapse of Civilization - by Eric the Green - 03-08-2019, 12:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Generation is 7777 days, a Cycle is 256 years, each 255 months an Empire Collapse Mark44 0 216 07-23-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Mark44