Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad bosses as a phenomenon
(09-05-2020, 02:09 PM)sbarrera Wrote: pbrower, you cranky old Boomer, are clearly disappointed with the culture that came out of the Awakening/Unraveling. As an Xer who grew up on junk food and bad TV, I think there is much to be praised about modern culture. I think there is a lot of excellent TV, film and music being made these days. I greatly appreciate the mulii-faceted nature of the current cultural landscape. And the foodie trend has given us a lot more food options, it's not all processed food in stores these days. In fact, I have been eating more healthily in the pandemic because I prepare all meals at home now.

I will concede that it is more difficult for those who are poor, who can't afford higher-end food or a lot of options for entertainment. But there is a contingent of middle-class people left in our society who are not miserable and enjoy a diverse and rewarding culture.

That's my counter-rant.

Your opinion is noted. I am glad you are eating better. Thank goodness for small mercies indeed. 

Myself, I generally don't see any reason to think much of current culture. For one thing, the only thing available now on broadcast TV are programs from decades ago, or lousy reality TV. In the past, culture was available without having to sign up and pay extra for every show. That to me in itself is very poor culture, regardless of my income. That's not culture to me. And from what little I have surmised about what's on pay TV, it doesn't impress me. Movies don't impress me. It's all too violent and superficial. Current popular music is generally abominable, and has been for over 30 years. At its best, it is just OK. There are exceptions, in my opinion, but the exceptions prove the rule. My challenge stands: show me any pop music since the mid-1970s that equals or surpasses the one in my signature line. Of course, my opinion is final on that one Smile   Overall, I think the 21st century basically remains to begin, culturally OR politically. It is a big fat ZERO. Let's hope it finally starts in 2021.

Unlike Brower though, I am certain that the high point of pop music was the mid 1960s, or the stretch of years from 1963 to 1973, from folk classics, early Motown and surf to The Who's Quadrophenia, which encompassed the period. All this does not make me miserable, necessarily, because there's good culture to be found, but it is only on the fringes, and not what most people are familiar with or even understand at all. There are some good documentaries and non-fiction books around, and for all I know some good fiction ones too. And there's always living in the past! Remember, ours is the only epoch in which we have access to all of it, from every civilization. Too bad it does not inspire us to rise to its standard. We are too cynical, too practical and conservative, and way too materialist. There is no great culture without divine inspiration.

Disagreement is expected Smile
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-07-2019, 03:06 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by David Horn - 03-08-2019, 08:45 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-09-2019, 02:48 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by Hintergrund - 03-23-2019, 08:20 PM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by pbrower2a - 03-24-2019, 06:08 AM
RE: Bad bosses as a phenomenon - by beechnut79 - 09-03-2020, 10:13 PM