Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope and Optimism on Conquering Bullying?
(07-25-2019, 12:27 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 09:42 AM)beechnut79 Wrote: I found the following article to be worth discussing here. But the question that should be considered is: have we really made a lot of progress in this area? Many have complained about being bullied at their workplaces, and while this is for certain a form of harassment, I don't believe it has been cracked down on with nearly the intensity that harassment of a sexual nature has.

I was so bullied back in public school days that my parents removed me from the school and hired a tutor for me until a private boarding school could be found. To a certain extent there was still some bullying there as well, and one of the other children thought that I should be in an insane asylum or sanitarium. As one of at least three self-proclaimed Aspies on this board, it was just something nobody really discussed at that time (the 1950s), as many of those who for whatever reason did not fit in to the larger society were sent to boarding schools as children or sanitariums as adults.

Do you think we have made progress regarding this issue, and has significant research been done into bullying's cause and effect?

https://www.air.org/resource/cautious-op...e-bullying

Victims of bullying can have scars, but the bullies themselves are far more troubled. Bullying behavior is analogous to the behavior (assault, vandalism, and harassment) that leads to criminal convictions that put one in prison for felony crimes. The victim who is connected with poverty, minority identity, homosexuality, or handicap often finds safe havens in adulthood and clings to them. So the bullies rarely make it to college? There often ends the nightmare of bullying. Emotional and intellectual competence usually correlate.

Bullying has the common thread of a lack of empathy, something that people learn over time if lucky. Empathy is rarely innate. It is socially valuable, but social behavior is learned behavior.

Asperger's syndrome makes one vulnerable to bullying in K-12 education and often in the workplace.

I cannot say for sure that I was ever bullied in any of my workplaces, but often did feel like the black sheep; one who would be among the first to be let go at the first sign of any downturn. Same was true in a couple of singles social clubs I joined in my 20s and 30s. Seemed that I had a negative image among the other members, and firmly believe I was put on a blacklist for dating.

A classic movie dealing with the bullying subject is "Tea and Sympathy" in which a teenage boy is mercilessly ridiculed because he tended to prefer activities such as sewing to playing baseball and was giving the derogatory nickname "Sister Boy".

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hope and Optimism on Conquering Bullying? - by beechnut79 - 07-25-2019, 03:54 PM