Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autocracy: Rules for Survival
(12-15-2016, 04:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: It is obvious that the warnings expressed in the opening posts are already coming true, according to his appointments. Attorney General Jeff Sessions; uh, yeah.

Will the Democrats have the guts to stop his supreme court appointments? Even if it means the end of the filibuster for them?

I understand anger and feelings of violence against the Trumpistas. I don't encourage it or participate. We don't have civil war--- yet. We still have peaceful ways. But we will have to be militant and uncompromising in our attitudes. No more talk about going easy, being nice or giving them a chance. They have lost any consideration already, with their actions so far.

If the Democrats don;t take the Supreme Court opening, will they still have the filibuster?

Here's how I see it:

1. Democrats fill the Supreme Court seat and have some institutional protection, however temporary (the death or resignation of one of the moderates) and lose the filibuster in the Senate, but otherwise become irrelevant in American politics at the federal level.

2. Democrats concede the Supreme Court seat and have some institutional protection, however temporary (the death or resignation of one of the moderates) and lose the filibuster in the Senate, and still become irrelevant in American politics at the federal level.

I go with #1. The Republican Party has become a severely authoritarian party and the President will act as a dictator anyway. Go for the only sure thing, even if it is shaky. That is the only check or balance that will be possible in the Capitalist Reich. Democrats need some check or balance, lest America become a complete dictatorship.

American democracy has effectively become Schrödinger's cat.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Autocracy: Rules for Survival - by pbrower2a - 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Autocracy: Rules for Survival - by pbrower2a - 12-15-2016, 11:34 PM
RE: Autocracy: Rules for Survival - by Warren Dew - 12-15-2016, 09:35 PM
RE: Autocracy: Rules for Survival - by pbrower2a - 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM
RE: Autocracy: Rules for Survival - by pbrower2a - 05-03-2017, 08:16 AM
RE: Autocracy: Rules for Survival - by pbrower2a - 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM