Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T
(03-16-2020, 02:03 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 01:13 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: I think you're confusing 1980 with 1960.  The original question asked about 1980, not 1960.

Yah.  I have a different idea of the core of the Awakening, having it end when Nixon hit office.  Thus, I answered for the core of the Awakening as I stated, the arrival in the US of the Beatles through the election of Nixon.  By 1980 the fall of Saigon, the hostage and oil crises, Watergate, and the national malaise had already left America feeling a lot less sure of itself, a lot less omnipotent.  

I know The Theory states the pessimistic selfish period should have begun later, but I sort of go with reality.  The failures of the 1970s contributed to the end of boundless optimism and the idea that America could succeed by throwing a lot of money at any problem.  Reagan just formalized it, putting the red unravelling theory into place.  America would no longer even try to be great.  Carter thought this idea was a malaise.  Reagan turned the malaise into the new normal.

1980 would have put Carter in his last year.  I would anticipate an attempt at a scientific response that would fail due to lack of technology.  The bug would have gone as one more failure capping off what was typical of the 1970s.
I have often thought of that national malaise as just the tip of the iceberg. Many developments over the four decades since seem to have added fuel to the fire.  One of the biggies is that so many workers complain that their hard work even though it could be noticed by higher-ups who they feel seldom if ever give them the recognition and rewards they feel they deserve. A syndrome and seemingly endless cycle of feeling under appreciated.  This occurred in one of my workplaces although I wasn’t one of the crybabies.  Might all the restrictions now put in place only make the current malaise even worse?  For those with romance on their mind, they most likely will have the inability to plan a romantic night out. Today is St. Patrick’s Day, normally a great time to hang out with friends and having fun, even though in recent years we have been advised to just be careful of over-indulging. No such luck this year.

Messages In This Thread
Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T - by sbarrera - 03-15-2020, 09:12 AM
RE: Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T - by beechnut79 - 03-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Coronavirus Bob Butler 54 1,542 457,923 02-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 829 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,505 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter