Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverberations from times of cosmic awakening social moments
Having learned astrology as a result of this awakening, and predicting where all the planets and signs would be in my chart before looking up their actual positions, and then predicting exactly when the outer planet alignment would be virtually to the day, I research the planetary cycles and their historical correspondences and began writing my book. One of the first things I noticed when looking into the future was that Saturn, Uranus and Neptune would line up in 1989. Not only that, but Pluto would be reaching its perihelion, which had corresponded to the golden ages of the past. 5 years before it would enter Scorpio, predicted by astrologers to begin an important era of change and innovation. In November 1989, I saw, Jupiter would oppose both Saturn and Neptune in an alignment of all 3 planets within 3 minutes of arc. "Revolution will happen in 1989" I wrote in my early draft. Uranus and Neptune were scheduled to be exactly aligned in 1993, and within orb from 1988-1998.

We all know what happened. First in Poland, and then in Hungary, the iron curtain was breached as freedom movements arose in Eastern Europe. In November, the Berlin Wall, erected at the height of the Cold War in 1961, was scaled by thousands of enthusiastic youth and was taken down and dismantled, and Europe became unified in 1990. The Velvet Revolution thereupon erupted in Czechoslovakia, as the movement of 1968 was fulfilled and the communist regime overthrown. A more violent revolt then overthrew the dictator in Romania in December. All this was helped along by the liberal leader that had emerged in the Soviet Empire that dominated the region in 1985, Mikhail Gorbachev.

Even before this, movements in the Pacific rim in the mid to late 1980s had overthrown the tyrants supported by the USA, in Chile, The Phillippines and South Korea, and in China in May 1989 the main square of Beijing was filled with young people demanding democracy and brought the People's Republic to a standstill. But this movement was repressed in a bloody crackdown on June 5th.
https://www.history.com/topics/china/tiananmen-square
Meanwhile the USA itself intervened in a revolutionary movement in Panama against its dictator and overthrew him, as justified by the agreement for Panama self-rule in 1977. Big things were forecast for early 1990 as more planets aligned with the conjunction. At this time Nelson Mandela was released and aparteid was thereupon ended, with Mandela becoming president in 1994.

These events inspired an awakening among Generation X and some Boomers in many places. The rave scene was its most famous expression. According to this site:

Quote:Raves began as an underground movement, where a group of like-minded people would get together and dance (in an enhanced state of consciousness) to all types of electronic music. Raves created a magical environment where people could dance for hours. Rave was founded on groundbreaking electronica and innovative DJs, but the scene encompassed more than just that. Laser lights, fashion and open-minded attitudes helped to build and spread the scene. It was only natural that a movement so magical would grow to epic proportions...... This period became known as the Second Summer of Love, a peaceful movement that (was) similar to the Summer of Love in San Francisco.

"It was all one love, everyone together. Anyone can dance all of a sudden, freedom of expression. Dress down, not up. Converse trainers, smiley T-shirts – a sort of tribalism took over. Everyone was happy to be the same." – Pete Tong
https://djtechtools.com/2013/12/19/histo...nce-music/

The article says the rave genre began in Chicago with tracks like this in 1987:
https://youtu.be/igNBeo3QSqc
At first the music was very spare and repetitive like this one above, sometimes even more annoying. The high-tech drumming was a constant beat that was supposed to be entrancing. But as the music and the scene developed it went in many directions, and much of the music became much more spiritual and elaborate.

The scene was sometimes shut down, but it moved to elsewhere in the USA including the SF Bay Area, and to London where this big event was held:
https://youtu.be/X7Ujn_Iedns

I went to a couple of raves in the SF Bay Area. The website cited above says this about the USA and the SF scene:

"Many smaller promotional groups sprung up in the US, which caused a real ‘scene’ to develop, and Scotto’s NASA collective (Nocturnal Audio and Sensory Awakening) went on to produce rave tours that featured Moby, Prodigy, Orbital, Aphex Twin and then-emerging producer Richie Hawtin.

In the 1990s, one of the most prominent rave promotion crews was Global Underworld Network. They organized the OPIUM and NARNIA Festivals that drew an incredible attendance of over 60,000 people. Narnia was featured on MTV and twice in Life Magazine, and honored as the Event of the Year in 1995. Narnia became known as the “Woodstock of Generation X”.

During the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Bay Area experienced a surge in popularity in rave culture. Small, underground parties began to take off, and expand from SF into the surrounding areas. With no curfew in place, venues would have up to 20,000 people partying every weekend. By 1991, raves were exploding, and flyers could be found up and down Haight Street. ‘Homebase’, and ’85 & Baldwin’ were two of the biggest venues that raves were held at in the Bay Area – but raves also appeared in open air venues (watch three different SF area raves in the video below)."
https://youtu.be/iUGIvcyVfCM

I was a DJ at a community radio station in this period from 1986 to 2010 and still host an internet show. I played some of this genre, and this is one of my favorites from it:

This was the second coming of psychedelia, and had many aspects, including cyberpunk literature, and multi-media art. It blended with world music styles like reggae dub, and gets darker in dark ambient.

The mainstay of my radio program was New Age music and ambient of a spiritual, mystical nature, sometimes also called spacemusic or visionary music or visionary sound arts, which developed in the 1980s and reached its height around 1992. All these related genres have such a vast array of artists that it is unfathomable. If you want to get a flavor of the roster, I picked out a list of favorites from my time as a radio DJ:
favorite single tracks: http://philosopherswheel.com/fave50.htm
favorite albums: http://philosopherswheel.com/ericnewage.html

It all harks back to the original inspirational moment in June 1966, I feel, including the 1966 psychedelic rock of groups like early Pink Floyd.
https://youtu.be/4o2sA0vpA-4
This one above was also based partly on a 1966 rock hit called My Little Red Book. The group that made that record was simply called "Love".

The German influence of cosmic rock often called the Berlin School was a major influence as well. It reached cosmic levels in tracks like this amazing favorite of mine from 1972:

But it gained a new power and style with the next generation in the rave scene of circa 1990, and it keeps diversifying. Ambient music continues, reaching very meditative, transcendent levels in pieces like this one, which really seems like it is prolonging the 1966 experience over 40 years later, and even the spiritual experience of all ages:

And the influence of electronic music from cosmic rock to rave house music continues in the electronic dance music (EDM) that is prominent in millennial generation pop music. The song from that genre that I posted in the Music of the 4T thread called "Feel It Still" (2017) is a wonderful little dance song that expresses a lot of what I mean in these posts. It says "I've been feeling it since 1966." It may be over now, but I feel it still, it says, and I still do. And for Gen X, it mentions the fall of the wall, and that they can kick it like it's 1986; and I can too, since that's when I became a DJ!

All in all, this 1990 era had many awakening-like expressions, and I may review others in a future post. It is understandable that another poster (who is angry with me) considers the Awakening outside the USA to have started later in 1968 and ended with this 2nd summer of love in circa 1989. But even if it's in a third turning, and the original awakening was international and began in 1964, as I fully experienced it, the cosmic planetary figures that accompanied the circa 1990 Awakening showed that sometimes Awakenings can happen in other turnings, or come forth as later echoes and ramifications of a 2nd turning, much like the developments in modernism in the previous 2T continued after 1908-- its ending date according to Strauss and Howe. Or the recurring democratic revolutions. Or the rebuilding of Chartres Cathedral after a fire at the end of the 12th century. A powerful Awakening during a 2T can continue to reverberate and re-awaken even in diverse ways in the following years, perhaps even indefinitely, especially if "the stars align."
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reverberations from times of cosmic awakening social moments - by Eric the Green - 03-29-2020, 02:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Cosmic Clock of Civilization naf140230 0 2,074 05-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Last Post: naf140230