Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me or is the 21st century....rather boring?
(05-12-2020, 11:47 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: It's here to stay until something surpasses it.

When something surpasses the smart phone it will be in essence a super smart phone.

Quote:What surprises me that it isn't built into laptop computers to take advantage of the larger display for data. So instead of "wshakespeare1564" having to press strokes that read "ebrowning 1806" to send e-mail, "wshakespeare1564" writes his sonnet and dials the phone number for "ebrowning1806" and sends it, reciprocating with her own sonnet.

Long form telecommunication in written form already uses a superior system unless the goal is to make quick statements (aka Twitteresque aps). That system is of course email which has been around for decades. Though I suppose if wshakespeare1564 wanted to recite his sonnet into a phone and have it transmitted in text format that would be doable with a smart phone now.

I regularly use an app to send texts to my husband or son by speaking to my phone and then commanding it to send them the text. To do sonnets and other such things is a matter of processing power which phones simply don't have yet, but Moore's Law says they will eventually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Quote:  As with television we have improvements of not only the television receiver and an astonishing cutting of price but also improved means of transmitting TV signals.  When TV was VHF only, many people where I live were buying TV's from people in Fort Wayne, Indiana where signals from Indianapolis, Dayton, and Toledo didn't quite reach... so nothing did. That's over. 

We've had that since satellite television became wide spread in the 90s. Cable in the 80s. That is nothing remotely new. Nor is it I think a vast improvement. Broadcast television has been a wasteland for decades [including the so-called golden age of television].

Quote:It may not be so much that the smart phone is adopting great new technologies but instead that institutions adapt to it.  With the appropriate ap one can read a check and get the money represented deposited in one's account.

Checks...how barbaric. These days with pay apps the need for reading a check is completely eliminated. One can pay with their phone just as easily as with a debit card or the gods forbid cash.

Quote: I would love some day to play movies of about eighty years ago on a giant TV screen as if I were in a theater.   

I'm sure you can find a large screen television with surround sound at best buy. Probably around 1500 bucks, and most of that will be the super large tee-vee. Though I can't say that I've priced tee-vees in a while. Last one I bought cost 300 bucks and it sits in the living room to infotain my aging boomer mother. No one else in the house is remotely interested in it. Mind you to us it may as well be a grammophone and the set itself is less than 10 years old.

Quote:I am using what is basically a TV screen for reading what people post on the Web. I just wish that I had a touch screen so that I could offer some macabre anti-Trump propaganda... you don't want to know what I substitute for the zero's in "2020".

Most computer monitors are built on their tee-vee predecessors. The thing is you can do so much more with a computer than you can with a tee-vee. A tee-vee simply sits there and shows you content produced by others for a mass audience. The internet you can get whatever content you want, mass marketed or niche marketed, or create your own.

I won't address the anti-Trump propaganda comment as it is most likely a throw away line. Suffice it to say putting a maga sign in our yard has kept the more annoying neighbors at bay.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it just me or is the 21st century....rather boring? - by Kinser79 - 05-13-2020, 04:12 PM