Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help me to understand purpose of mask
(05-31-2020, 10:16 PM)TheNomad Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 07:19 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 04:22 PM)TheNomad Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 02:22 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: It won't destroy the human race.  Covid-19 basically doesn't cause deaths in children and young adults.  At worst, it will just kill people at a younger age.  But, I'd rather have those extra years of life, as I think most people would.

Would the whole world be told to STOP and not go anywhere if it was not that dangerous?

It's dangerous for old people, and old people are in charge.

I'm getting to consider myself "old" but I dread the mask.  I would rather have the virus and whatever that brings than to live my life under this wretched thing. 

If I have to be real, the mask is changing us on a fundamental level.  Every person we see or come into contact with is a potential threat.  Every person and item we come into contact with "could kill us".  We are not interacting the same any more.  We cannot.  Forced covering of faces is a cross of very real existential rights and liberties we enjoy as Americans.

I am NOT downplaying a threat to health and safety.  BobButler and those like him I feel are just really quick to give in to such a thing without even wanting to know about repercussions long-term.  Acting quickly is a sign of fear.  I am against anything that originates from fear.

Precautions against disease does not originate from fear, but from concern for peoples' health. Fear is indeed something to watch and control. Beyond an original response to danger, it is not helpful; it is like an alarm clock that has no off button. However, here fear is used as a slogan to oppose needed precautions and safety measures. Trump is using it as a means to stir his base with another of his hoax theories.

Wearing masks is definitely not something we want to do. If Trump and other rulers in various places had acted more quickly to test and quarantine those who had the virus, they would not be necessary by now. So it is not the fault of those who support or ask people to wear masks now that we have to wear masks, but those who opposed wearing masks months ago whose fault it is. And then there are those using this pandemic as an opportunity to promote their conspiracy theories about vaccines. Once we get a safe and effective vaccine, wearing masks will decline and disappear.

How much of a danger is a new disease such that we have to take these precautions that are uncomfortable and separate ourselves from each other? It is a question, but obviously it has to do with how contagious the disease is. Many dangerous pandemics have happened, some more deadly than this one, but I doubt that there has been one as contagious as this one in perhaps a century, at least.

Again you claim that these precautions are violating our rights. People on-line have a strong tendency to simply ignore what other people write. I don't know why that is, but many people do it. I have already told you that we do not have a right to endanger others.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: help me to understand purpose of mask - by Eric the Green - 06-01-2020, 10:11 PM