Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The cancer infecting the political Left
(12-11-2020, 09:21 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 05:33 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 05:02 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 04:33 AM)Einzige Wrote: Every President has a personality cult

To some degree.  As I said, in a democracy you have to build a bunch of voters that like you.  If you define personality cult a bit off, the above statement could very well be true.  I suspect Trump's followers are a bit different.  Members of the press who strive to articulate that difference came up with personality cult.

I would add that revolutionary leaders form personality cults too.  You have to to lead any major violent action.  It is part of the job.  Lenin, Mao, Castro...  All in their own way had followers.  Of course, in time the attraction became poorer among the workers, greater among the Communist elites who came to control the means of production.  But, it is the same thing.

"Personality cult" is a derogatory term as most see it. It is obviously more difficult to put the label on someone like Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter... If we are talking about national leaders, do you really want to assign one to Barack Obama as you would to Benito Mussolini? If one can attach it to any leader, then the term becomes meaningless. 

In a genuine democracy, one would not expect to see the image of the President attached everywhere. To be sure, the personality cult around Trump is still 100% voluntary... but I can only imagine that having no Trump paraphernalia might have become harmful to one's business opportunities or advancement on the job had Trump won. (He didn't, so I guess we can flush the Valium down the toilet and save the vodka for a suitable celebration -- like getting a vaccine for COVID-19). 

George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Sir Winston Churchill,  Mohandas Gandhi, or Charles de Gaulle get the recognition for legitimate deeds.

You assigned one to Trump. Are you and Obama off limits? Obama is directly associated with one of the largest and most powerful personality cults this country has seen since the Nazi's. We got to see it in action and see what it can do last summer and we got to see the preparation for the violence and carnage that would ensue if the personality cult didn't get the President that it wanted in office. What's different for them here, we're here waiting for justification to wipe them off the face of the Earth and replace them with better people. However it gets done, the majority of country won't care when the time comes to eliminate them. I figure we are about a half a term away from the beginning of that endeavor.

Obama insisted on no better and no worse treatment than American usually give to the President. People can support Obama for reasons having nothing to do with adulation of his personality. As I see him he is a bit above average in just about everything. My support for him was quiet, and that was good enough.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The cancer infecting the political Left - by pbrower2a - 12-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catalist: findings on age-cohorts and political activity pbrower2a 1 369 05-20-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The new political narrative Eric the Green 10 2,538 08-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Rep. Dan Crenshaw irks both the left and right with gun comments random3 0 656 02-05-2021, 04:03 AM
Last Post: random3
  Bread and Circuses with California’s Political Hypocrisy SusanSusan 0 742 02-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Last Post: SusanSusan
  The Green New Deal is a left-capitalist fraud Einzige 0 652 01-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Einzige
  Will a nationalist/cosmopolitan divide be the political axis of the coming saeculum? Einzige 66 46,425 03-21-2020, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz
Smile Treason's Just A Word For Nothing Left To Lose... Bad Dog 4 3,332 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  New York bill would ban anonymous political ads on Facebook nebraska 0 1,230 01-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Critique Left X_4AD_84 6 6,383 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  Study: Political Polarization is Mainly a Right-Wing Phenomenon Odin 0 1,482 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Odin