Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The cancer infecting the political Left
(12-12-2020, 03:40 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 02:02 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 01:54 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 09:58 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: So far, no one has defined what a personality cult is.  I suppose it would be up to Pbower and Einzige to define since they are the ones who want to use the term. Thus far the only difference is that the goals that the politician are working for are undesirable.  That is not at all satisfactory.  It changes too much between people...
My understanding of that phrase is more about politics than anything else, but surely Charles Manson is a non-political example, so here goes my attempt.  For a personality cult to actually be one, the person at the center has to be elevated to superhuman standards by his acolytes.  Once that occurs, judgementalism disappears, and the word of the cult leader becomes the word of authority, period, full stop. No one questions the current Kim anymore than they did his father and grandfather.  It's hard to say the same about Vladimir Putin, for example, who is certainly powerful and feared, but not adored enough to be at the center of a cult.

That's a good definition. I would say Putin barely qualifies. As for Trump as opposed to Obama, etc., Trump qualifies, and Obama does not, because Trump's ability to create a cult following is his only virtue. His policies are unpopular and ineffective, and his personal qualities and corrupt behavior are abominable otherwise. Only his cult following enabled him to slip into the presidency through the electoral college, and to screw up his job as president and still win 74 million votes.

Obama may be handsome, cool and personally popular, and hated by others for his race, but he is also articulate, his policies were popular and effective, and his behavior is beyond reproach.

I'm not sure Trummp's policies are so unipolar to his base.  Sure, as a blue person they would be judged poorly, but...

If you are thinking short term, Voodoo economics is a popular theory, stimulate in good times and bad.  It usually is good for two terms before you invite a responsible person in, but this time COVID cut it short.  If you want to avoid crashes at regular intervals, Voodoo is less good.

If you are a racist, the encouraging of racist memes and behavior is good.  The notion of undoing whatever Obama did seems cool.  Violence against minorities seems cool.  Ugh.

If you are the right flavor of religious, his policy of appeasing fundamentalist will get him votes.

If you are an elite, the tax cuts for the rich are good.  The favors he does to those who slip him bribes are great.  Shipping more jobs abroad will increase prophets by avoiding things like unions, benefits, regulations and the environment.

Problems are not as obvious in rural areas.  Not solving them seems like a good idea.  Small government, low taxes, not getting ready for the inevitable problem seems attractive if you are in the middle of nowhere and ready to deal with anything that is likely to come up.  Planning, preparation and teamwork?  Why bother?

Granted, many of these are questionable from a long term or urban perspective.   The corruptness, criminality, selfishness and narcissism are problematic.  He doesn't seem to understand or value democratic or military ideals.  Still, if you are twisted enough or a one issue voter, some of his policies seem worth it.  For me?  No.  Still, if you are going to have to defeat him, understanding how he acquired his fanatic following is critical.  You have to point out the flaws early and often.  It is not just his smiling charm.
I'm telling you Bob, you're going to have to drop the racism if you want to come out this in one piece and remain an American. How long have you been repeating/encouraging racist memes and behavior? How long have I've been telling to knock it off before you get hurt?

Messages In This Thread
RE: The cancer infecting the political Left - by Classic-Xer - 12-12-2020, 09:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catalist: findings on age-cohorts and political activity pbrower2a 1 367 05-20-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The new political narrative Eric the Green 10 2,538 08-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Rep. Dan Crenshaw irks both the left and right with gun comments random3 0 655 02-05-2021, 04:03 AM
Last Post: random3
  Bread and Circuses with California’s Political Hypocrisy SusanSusan 0 742 02-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Last Post: SusanSusan
  The Green New Deal is a left-capitalist fraud Einzige 0 650 01-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Einzige
  Will a nationalist/cosmopolitan divide be the political axis of the coming saeculum? Einzige 66 46,422 03-21-2020, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz
Smile Treason's Just A Word For Nothing Left To Lose... Bad Dog 4 3,332 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  New York bill would ban anonymous political ads on Facebook nebraska 0 1,230 01-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Critique Left X_4AD_84 6 6,381 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  Study: Political Polarization is Mainly a Right-Wing Phenomenon Odin 0 1,482 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Odin