Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The cancer infecting the political Left
(12-15-2020, 04:21 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote: You should look at the left wing Obama posters and see the similarities. Trump will be leaving office soon enough. You don't have to worry about Trump scaring you or upsetting you for at least four more years. What you have to worry about is Joe Biden leaving office within a couple years after being sworn in. I think that it will become impossible for them to continue to hide his obvious problem. Plus, there is also  an investigation involving his sons shady business dealings that may implicate him and force him to resign. Either way, I don't see him making it through a full term as President. My mother started showing the same signs as him at his age and she got noticeably worse each year that followed and she wasn't the President of the United State at the time. 

Oh, by the way, you should not expect help or support from the Republican base or the Republican party because we are going to put fire under their asses and force them to start taking much tougher positions with the Democrats and expect them to answer their threats with greater threats. I agree that Americans have the right to make their own choices. Americans can choose to completely break with the  the Democratic Party and choose to leave the states that are controlled by it and move to the Republican states where American rights will be recognized and honored and protected by the state. The right to murder an unborn human may no longer exist and be outlawed but murder has always been illegal in America. Like I said, handing a couple of Senate seats to the Democratic party is probably all that's needed for a century worth of political tradition to be broken/come to an end.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/03/d...rsonality/

The arch-conservative Michael Medved wrote an essay for the arch-conservative National Review back when Trump was running for the Republican nomination, and he attributed a cult of personality to Donald Trump. To be sure, many conservatives would back Trump when he seemed the best vehicle for the time for making a God-fearing, cheap-labor, faith-driven (as long as that is Christian), war-mongering, corporate-friendly America in which abortion and perhaps even contraception are outlawed.

I won't give you any excerpts because it is nearly five years old, but note well: Donald Trump is neither a conservative nor a Christian. I find Christian morality useful (if anyone thinks that I undercut Jews on that... Jewish morality is practically the same). I would have found it easy enough to vote for Joe Biden against Donald Trump solely because Joe Biden is a devout Christian and Donald Trump seems to be more a devotee of Ayn Rand and Hugh Hefner than of Jesus.    

Well, we got Trump.  Conservatives got much of their agenda for a while, and they got to watch liberals cry while right-wingers drank out of cups and tumblers that read "I love the taste of liberal tears".

I would prefer that  conservatives not lament as fully what happens to America what we liberals lamented when Trump was President. Politics is ideally about cutting deals good for both and not for sticking the Other Side. I hope that we can be far better than Trump, and if we are as bad as he was, then we will deserve a defeat in 2024 as Trump had in 2020. No, the election was not stolen, and for this I give credit to pols in both Parties that have done everything possible to eliminate fraud and even error in the electoral process. Republicans did better than one might have expected in 2020.

I don't want conservatives to cry or convert. I want them to ditch the cult of personality around Donald Trump. I want them to know that the rule of law is more precious than getting one's way.   

All in all, Barack Obama will get far more respect in American history than will Donald Trump. Far more schools will be named after Barack Obama than after Donald Trump... OK, Obama was far more respectful of formal learning, and prose by Obama is far more coherent than the bilge that emanated from Trump. Surely you would prefer that your children write more like Obama than like Trump?

This post to which I respond comes from before the January 6 insurrection, one in which people taken in by the Trump cult could not recognize the result of a close election that did not go their way. They stormed the Capitol. They brought partisan banners into the Capitol. Some committed horrible crimes, including murder, on behalf of their hero. Some had zip-cuffs of the sort used in making arrests. Someone showed a mock gallows and some shouted "Hang Mike Pence!" when he showed that he was not going to go along with that mob's desired rescission of the Presidential election.  

Nothing matters but the leader, his image, and his agenda? That is a personality cult. The more extreme that such is, the more dangerous is the personality cult.

People have done horrible things in the name of Donald Trump. I hope that we have learned our lesson.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The cancer infecting the political Left - by pbrower2a - 02-01-2021, 08:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catalist: findings on age-cohorts and political activity pbrower2a 1 370 05-20-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The new political narrative Eric the Green 10 2,540 08-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Rep. Dan Crenshaw irks both the left and right with gun comments random3 0 656 02-05-2021, 04:03 AM
Last Post: random3
  Bread and Circuses with California’s Political Hypocrisy SusanSusan 0 742 02-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Last Post: SusanSusan
  The Green New Deal is a left-capitalist fraud Einzige 0 652 01-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Einzige
  Will a nationalist/cosmopolitan divide be the political axis of the coming saeculum? Einzige 66 46,427 03-21-2020, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz
Smile Treason's Just A Word For Nothing Left To Lose... Bad Dog 4 3,332 08-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  New York bill would ban anonymous political ads on Facebook nebraska 0 1,230 01-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Critique Left X_4AD_84 6 6,386 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  Study: Political Polarization is Mainly a Right-Wing Phenomenon Odin 0 1,482 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Odin