Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Fake News": The Emergence of a Post-Fact World
(01-16-2017, 10:29 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 04:25 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: Speaking of the line between opinion and reporting, how about NYT's new habit of rewriting articles after they have been posted in order to make sure the right "message" comes across?  Nor are they the only ones to have been called out on it.

The modern media's problems run a lot deeper than Podesta's emails or some kids in Macedonia.

I read the Times daily.  Are errors corrected? Yes, and duly noted, including, for reference, the original error.  In this rush-to-press ethos of modern journalism, I give credit to organizations that actually correct the record. 

FWIW, I don't see a way around this.  First-to-press gets the eyeballs.  Eyeballs generate income.  If you have another viable business model, please post it.  The current one is not my preference either.

Again, did you actually read the links?  They didn't "fact-check" or remove errors from those articles, they completely rewrote articles to add in *commentary*.  How about the bit from the former NYT reporter who left after 12 years and said that the editors there *told* them what stories to write, asked them to find people to say particular things, and how out of keeping this was with his previous experience as a reporter?

I don't like block-quoting from things I can just link to, but if I have to put up with this sort of ignorant, self-indulgent nonsense I might have to revise my habits.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Fake News": The Emergence of a Post-Fact World - by SomeGuy - 01-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,939 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,534 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster